Server Maintenance This Week. ×

File Associations with filemaker pro 5.5

This topic is 7144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

Having major problems with file associations and filemaker pro 5.5 - we are currently running this with windows 2000. The users have to open the application first before they can open any .fp5 files. I have checked the associations via windows explorer and they look ok - any other idea's - please I really need help :: confused.gif

Hi Caroline,

I'm not sure I'm understanding your problem. Maybe some additional information will help me help you.

At first I thought it might be because your files were missing the file type extension (.fp5). I understand that this can be a problem with windows machine recognizing the file type of files.

However, you went on to say FileMaker wasn't associating these .fp5 files as FileMaker (I'm guessing you mean by double clicking on the files). So, are the files showing the .fp5?

Next, you mention the dreaded "U" word, that it was the users that were the ones having the problems. Does this mean that the files are being served in someway.

Lee

cool.gif

When a user double clicks on the file it comes up with the associate with dialog box - The files are showing the .fp5 extension and the assocations are in place!! The users are running filemaker pro as client only - no server.

Cazz confused.gif

If the user then selects FM from the list of apps, does that selection stick, or do they have to do that again next time?

Also, you say the "Associate with" dialog box -- on my Windows XP box, i first get a dialog titled "Windows" and then, if i select "Select the program from a list," a dialog titled "Open With." I don't get an "Associate With" dialog. I'm not trying to be pedantic, i'm just suggesting that if that is, in fact, the title of the dialog box, there may be some other software sitting in between the file and the OS that is controlling file associations. For instance, i run a program that allows you to select any application to open a file with by right-clicking; i can imagine a similar application using a double-left-click instead.

J

The message says "The associated program could not be opened"? I've never heard that one before. I wonder if maybe your application has been moved to a different location, or a folder has been renamed. I suppose your first post would be expected behavior if Windows were looking for Filemaker at C:Program FilesFilemakerFilemaker Pro 5 but it were actually in C:Program Filessome other folderFilemakerFilemaker Pro 5 (for example).

J

Hi Cazz,

This is a generic message - a windows message. It appears to be the normal message you get when windows does not recognise the file format.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

It's *Not* the message that you are getting that I'm referring to. I'm talking about looking at the document where it resides on your Hard Drive. What does it look like.

In other words, are you seeing the FileMaker's Icon as the Document Icon, or is it blank or maybe showing a different icon? If it is blank as I suspect, it means that the computer is not able to identify it as a FileMaker Document, and it really doesn't really matter that it has the extension of .fp5, because it still needs to be of a file type and creator of FileMaker.

I say this because, I have on occasion, received files like this that were made on Windows Machine, and uploaded by a Window user they act just as you describe, when I try to open them. Fortunately for me, I'm able to use a utility I have to set the Creator and File Type to FP5 and then everything works as it is suppose to.

I could take a look at them if you want to send them to me at my email address, or post them here.

Lee

HTH

cool.gif

The file icons are blank - just as you said - the standards windows icon - not the filemaker icon. Unfortuneately for me - this is happening all over our site - 14000 machines!!! Thanks for offering to change them for me but the magnitude is immense and it would not be possible. I was just looking for some sort of explanation - especially when they are created within filemaker pro - the same version??

I'm just guessing here, but I have dealt with this kind of issue with FileMaker Runtime installs. It looks like there is one of three possibilities here:

1. An update or custom program/application has been installed on the affected machines that has altered the file associations at the registry level. There are a lot of hidden file associations that you can only find by looking in the registry - they won't show up in the file types lists. Look up "WFS" or "WFF" extensions and you won't find them anywhere, but hidden in the registry is a key that the "WFS" and "WFF" extensions are "Word Fast File", whatever that is. You can add an association to those extensions in the registered file types list, but they will still try to open in "Word".

or

2. A Virus or Trojan Horse has redirected the file associations for the FP5 extension. I wonder if any other file associations have been changed/redirected - that would indicate a virus/trojan.

or

3. Being that you have 14,000 machines, I am assuming that you are using SMS or equivalent to install/update the machines. It could be a bad MSI package that has incorrectly installed FileMaker and/or the registry entries made by the MSI were incorrect - this is very easy to do. It could also be a new install has errantly modified or destroyed the registry entries for the FileMaker install.

Is FileMaker a new install, or has it been on these machines and the problem has just cropped up?

Hi

It happens sporadically on various machines - and you are correct - they all use the same msi package deployed via active directory. EG. In one school - the admin pc works fine but the head teachers in the room next door does not?? You can see why I am getting confused - this happens all through the site, one works, one doesn't etc etc etc

This topic is 7144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.