This topic is 8060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greetings,

I am a rookie to FileMaker Pro and am just beginning to learn the basics. I am stuck on a problem I'm hoping someone can help with.

We need to have a field which displays the CurrentRecordNumber. I was able to figure this out. However, when I import new records, FM starts the new records out at #1 again. So we end up with records having the same Record ID.

Is there a way to fix this so every record has its own, unique Record ID? I'm assuming a script needs to be created? I know nothing about creating a script so please provide detailed info if this is the solution.

Thank in advance,

Kip

As the Capt. says, don't use CurrentRecordNumber. However, many solutions do work just fine with a simple text or number field for a unique id. It requires no scripts, no calculations. Just turn on the auto-enter serial number option. When you import records, if "perform auto-entry options" is selected, imported records will get new serial numbers. Also, when you duplicate a record, it will get a new serial number. I recommend you familiarize yourself with this feature before you try to implement the more technical CaptK. method.

This topic is 8060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.