Server Maintenance This Week. ×

user rights on per record basis

This topic is 8719 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Anyone have any suggestions about an impementation of a system that would check user rights on a per record basis. The rights for users would change during the course of a year and could range from create records, edit only, read only, no access. these priveleges need to be set on a per user/per record basis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Hi JohnZ

As far as I know, but don't take my word as gospel, what you would like to do is NOT possible.

You can restrict user access with the use of groups and passwords, but once someone has opened a file that allows certain rights, those rights apply to ALL records, and not only to a chosen few.

I do hope someone posts another reply contradicting what I just said, so that you can do what you want to do, but I honestly doubt it. Sorry.

quote:

Originally posted by johnz:

Anyone have any suggestions about an impementation of a system that would check user rights on a per record basis. The rights for users would change during the course of a year and could range from create records, edit only, read only, no access. these priveleges need to be set on a per user/per record basis.

Yes this is possible, however depending upon exactly what kind of rights you want, it may be quite complicated.

You start by using Filemaker passwords to setup basic restrictions. Restrict the menus, fields, layouts or what not with the password system.

You will also need to somehow define what rights each user has. A simple login/password file(s), which contains the rights for each user will be the minimum you need. You can also get as complex as a fully relational login system, although there are several commercially available one.

Then you will have to create a navigation systems using buttons and scripts. These various navigational scripts will perform thier functions based on the specific rights assigned to them in the login file.

Actually setting up all the login stuff is more complicated than using those rights in your solution. However once the login system is setup you be in really good shape.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.inthescene.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8719 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.