Emailing

sonrise

This topic is 7087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We email our clients daily, and I am looking to create a script to enable me to send an email to our clients.

I don't know how to create this script. When I go to layout and make a button I tell it to performa script but there is no script to send mail.

I'm a beginner at Fma nd have been thrown into it. Can anyone help?

Sonrise:

There's no script to send mail because you haven't written it yet. First, you'll have to have an email address field in your record - I'll call it "t_email_address". Next, go to the Scripts pull-down menu and select "ScriptMaker..." Then, type in "Send Mail" into the text box (the cursor should already be there) and click the "Create" button. What comes next is up to you, but the central function is to send an email, so I'll skip any trickery for now & just get the script to send an email. Clear whatever is in the right hand side of the scriptmaker window (usually about six commands appear as defaults.) Then, in the left hand list, scroll all the way to the bottom, and under Miscellaneous, you'll see "Send Mail" - double-click on this, and it moves to the right. Now double-click on it in the right, and a dialog box comes up.

You can set it to send the body of a field as body, send it to an address which is a field, etc... I think it's fairly self-explanatory. When you've set these to the things you want, click "OK" (or whatever it is) and get back to where you want to put the button. Now you can define it to run your "Send Mail" script.

The first time you run it, it might ask you for your email client, and other stuff like that, but you'll be off and running in no time.

-Stanley

ok, here's another question i figured out what it did it sent the potential email to my drafts folder in entourage.

so what if I so a sort in FM and come up with all our clients in MI forexample, If I wanted to send all of them an email do I have to do all of them individually or can I create another script that will mass mail? and how do I do this?

Dawn:

There are some plugins you can use to streamline emailing - SMTPit, for example. As far as the email going into your drafts folder in Entourage, I can't tell you what the problem is, as I only use the send mail command with Mail when in OSX.

To mass-mail, you could loop through all of your found records and send the mails individually.

-Stanley

Hi Stanley;

Is there a way within the scripting process in Dev 6 to send out emails to multiple persons within within records found. Presently, I have the standard scripts that opens up an email window within one single record that is showing. Ideally, I would like to compose a message and have the script file replicate the message to all or specific chefs in my data base.

Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

The way to send out multiple messages to all in the found set is below. I assume that the email address, subject and body are stored in the database. The last two would best be set up as global vars, so as to send the same message out each time.

Go To Record/Request[First]

Loop

Send Mail[{here would be the names of the fields holding the email info}]

Go To Record/Request[Exit After Last, Next]

End Loop

Now, you may want to add some recordkeeping--like checking that your message body and subject are set, that the current record has an email address, and maybe a total number of messages sent (via a global counter field, e.g.), but this basically covers it.

Note that you can have Entourage (or any client) send the e-mail immediately by unchecking the "show dialog" check box in the Send Mail script step. Otherwise it assumes you want to preview your e-mail before sending it. Also be aware that Entourage and Mail will both send the e-mail immediately when "show dialog" is unchecked, but Eudora will dump it into the Queue which may not be sent until you quit Eudora.

If anyone knows an easy fix for this last problem in Eudora, I'd love to hear it. I was thinking of an AppleScript to send Eudora a "Send Queue" command. But I want to keep the client-independent nature of the Send Mail script step, so I guess I would have to check if Eudora is running first, otherwise anyone who happens to have Eudora installed on their computer would mysteriously have Eudora launch even if its not their default client. Any suggestions?

-Terence

• 2 weeks later...

If your email addresses are stored in a field, when you specify the Send Mail script step, in the TO, select the field used. Below the field selection list there is an option to use "Current Record" or "Use all records in found set". Select "Use all records in found set" and the email create will be addressed to everyone in your found set.

Just a word of caution - some email software and/or versions may not allow emails be sent to multiple recipients without user intervention (anti-virus). So checking to have the Send Mail script step to "Perform without dialog" may cause the email message to not be created or sent.

Bon appetite!

• Newbies

"If anyone knows an easy fix for this last problem in Eudora, I'd love to hear it. I was thinking of an AppleScript to send Eudora a "Send Queue" command. But I want to keep the client-independent nature of the Send Mail script step, so I guess I would have to check if Eudora is running first, otherwise anyone who happens to have Eudora installed on their computer would mysteriously have Eudora launch even if its not their default client. Any suggestions?"

-Terence

ok

I have two scripts now. One that sends one email to the current record and one that is supposed to send multiple emails to the records in that set with a Global subject and a global msg. however when i perform the script lets say i have four records in the script it sends 8 emails to my draft box and it's two emails to each record and only the first record in the set has the global subject and global msg

what am I doing wrong here's my script

show message ("are you sure?"

if ("status(CurrentMessageChoice=2)

Go to layout

else

Go to Record/Request/Page [first]

loop

send mail["gblsubject"]

Go to Record/request/page [exit after last, next]

send mail ['gblsubject"]

end loop

end if

exit script

This topic is 7087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.