Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Auto create record

This topic is 8653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I'm new to fmp(5) but I really like it. I'm working creating a customer database. There are 2 files, one the customer file the other is a zip code file which will contain the city, state and zip code. What I want to know is how to have fmp automatically create the zip code record if it doesn't find a zip code match? Righ now if it does find a match it inserts the appropriate city and state in the proper fields in the customer file. But perhaps I'm approaching it wrong?

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by markga:

Hi, I'm new to fmp(5) but I really like it. I'm working creating a customer database. There are 2 files, one the customer file the other is a zip code file which will contain the city, state and zip code. What I want to know is how to have fmp automatically create the zip code record if it doesn't find a zip code match? Righ now if it does find a match it inserts the appropriate city and state in the proper fields in the customer file. But perhaps I'm approaching it wrong?

Thanks!

You would need to create some scripts to accomplish such a thing. Basically have your scripts fill in the field if a match is found, if no match is found prompt the user for the city and state information and add it to your zip code file.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

quote:

Originally posted by markga:

Thanks, that works great. One question, how can I get the script to return me to the record I came from automatically when finished?

you never actually left that record, just Toggle Window (Hide) as the last step in the script and you will be back to the screen you started from.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

This topic is 8653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.