Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 8622 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am working on a very big project at the moment over a WAN. We have a DB called comments within another DB, this is a communication tool between two call centers. Once a user has entered comments in the field it would date, time and user stamp. However what i would like is once entered has been applied that NO user can make any changes to the comments field. Is this possible to do.

Regards,

Martin

quote:

Originally posted by partsgb.martinw:

I am working on a very big project at the moment over a WAN. We have a DB called comments within another DB, this is a communication tool between two call centers. Once a user has entered comments in the field it would date, time and user stamp. However what i would like is once entered has been applied that NO user can make any changes to the comments field. Is this possible to do.

Two layouts. One allows data entry, the other does not. Your navigation checks the field and takes the user to the appropriate layout.

There are other ways of doing this, but this is the most straight forward way.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

Two layouts. One allows data entry, the other does not. Your navigation checks the field and takes the user to the appropriate layout.

There are other ways of doing this, but this is the most straight forward way.

Kurt, Already done this within the solution. however what i would like to do is as soon they enter the comments in, once enter has been pressed they are able to make any changes to there comments. Do you have another solution to my problem

quote:

Originally posted by partsgb.martinw:

Kurt, Already done this within the solution. however what i would like to do is as soon they enter the comments in, once enter has been pressed they are able to make any changes to there comments. Do you have another solution to my problem

You can perform some field validation on it, but I recommend against it as you will get so many exceptions and bad data entry that it will really annoy your users.

Imagine this scenario: User enters the comments into the field, clicks off then realizes that they put in the wrong information. Off to you they come, you kick everybody off, remove validation, insert correct comments, restore validation, get everybody back online, in comes the next user.

No have a layout that allows then to add the comments. Once they are satisfied with the comments, they hit a button and then are taken to a layout where they cannot edit the comments.

This also allows you control things like a supervisor editing comments, or you as administrator editing comments, or even the creator of the comment editing it. This is just not possible with field validation.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

This topic is 8622 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.