Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Connecting From a Field Trailer

Burton Cohen

This topic is 7061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a customer running FM 6 internally. The application is FM v6 and the FM server is v5.5. I have setup a sample database using the FM 6 application as a proof of concept trial. I think I have correctly turned on sharing and even IWP - but of course I could be wrong.

They are a construction company and have users in the field in trailers connecting via DSL or cable modems. They need to connect to the internal FM database remotely. I have looked at the "via browser" solution, which works in a fashion, but it will need a major rewrite to establish complete functionality. I would like them to connect directly using a local FM 6 application -> File -> Open -> Hosts -> IP to the application running inside.

I have opened up the following ports through the firewall: 80, 591, 5003 and directed them all to the internal FM 6 CPU private IP. I still cannot establish a connection.

Is the protocol:

1. fmnet:/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:591

2. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:591

What am I missing or not doing right? I have a port opened through the firewall for AppleTalk and they can successfully connect to the Apple server which is running OS 9 with file sharing on. The FM 6 cpu is running OS 9. Both are behind the firewall but we can only connect to the Apple server but not the FileMaker database.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to You All - Seasons Greetings.

Burt Cohen

To open a connection over the internet to a server, you need ports 2399, and 5003 - 80 and 591 are not needed.

With an internal network, you will have to do one of two things: 1) obtain a static internet IP address from your ISP for the server. or...

2) setup port redirects on your firewall that will redirect the port traffic from your external IP address to the internal IP address of your FM server.

Once the ports are open on the firewall, on the client machine, select open remote, click 'specify host' and enter just the external IP address of your network.

If you can obtain a static IP address from your ISP (usually costs a little extra) you can use an 'Opener'file and give that to your clients to use.

• Newbies

I'm sort of in the same boat. I just moved our server 5.5 inside our firewall. I opened both udp and tcp ports 5003, but it still doesn't work.

When I sniff the net, I see the client sending an ARP about the servers address. It never sends anything to the address. (client is FM Pro 5)

Thanks

This topic is 7061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.