database security

speed

This topic is 7068 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Im using fm7 and have recently built an informational directory which I distribute on cd, however i cant avoid hacks of my fm app is there any way to make my fm app work/ run only off the cd : any ideas, suggestions on how to secure my database against illegal copies?? please advise. [email protected]

This is interesting. I have a runtime package that is distributed on CD that DO NOT want subscribers running it from the CD, so I set up an open script that attempts to write to a field and if the field cannot be changed, the file is locked and, more than likely, running from the CD.

So I think this script snippet may work for you:

Set Error Capture [ On ]

Toggle Status Area [ Hide, Lock ]

Set Field [ Locked, 2 ]

If [ Locked = 2 ]

Beep

Show Message [ Buttons: "OK", "", ""; Data: "This is an illegal copy of this software - it must be run from the CD." ]

Exit Application

End If

The "Locked" field is just a number field that is set to auto enter 0 (zero). In your case, all records are already created, so do a replace on all records so that the number is 0 (or I guess it could be just blank).

The only caveat that I see is if the user figures out to leave the files locked on their hard drive, the test will give a false positive.

• Newbies

You have to use multiple protections! (ANYTHING can be gotten around!)

Attempting to write to your database as noted above is a good one.

Also...depending on how 'protective' you want to get...I have clients using our Blowfish Encryption plug-in that encrypt the database using the get(filepath) function as part of the key to the encrypted records. (The VOLUME name in the 'filepath' is the name of the disk your database is running on...it SHOULD be the volume name of the CD!)

But like I said..if someone makes a "disk image" of the CD and MOUNTS it...it will have the same filepath as the cd and defeat this protection! COMBINING the two should stop MOST copiers!

The only (nearly) SURE way is to encrypt the database and sell "user keys" that allow decrypting the database to each user (You can provide them as they "register" on-line, if you wish...). Most of my clients use that method.

This topic is 7068 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.