This topic is 8450 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm administrating a FileMaker relational database (4 files) and the MIS is advertising me that one of the files, that include graphics in one field, is growing too much (700MB) and that the server (NT) can not administrate a file of this size (maximum 1GB, but this size can be dangerous for the FileMaker files).

What can I do? I can not have the database without those graphics (each one size is 300K maximum). They told me to fragmentate the database, but this no arrange anything because I will continue having a database with size of 600MB.

Someone can help me?Have I to reduce the size of each graphic contained? To which size? Or have I to fragment this big database in several smaller databases and then relationate all of them?

Thank you.

You have two options

1. you are probably saving the files as Bitmaps, these are very big. If you are, import the images as JPEG's they are much smaller.

2. There is a plugin that you can use that just stores a location of the graphic. Then they are stored in a seperate folder, not in FM. I think troi makes this, probably called troi graphic plug in.

hope this helps.

Jerry

Be careful, if you need the "store compatible graphics" option enabled in the doc prefs for the database, you are storing multiple copies of the file.

Also, you don't need to use a plugin to get the "store as references" functionality in FMP, just check that check box in the file dialog when you "import" the picture into the container field.

The catch with the references method, however, is that the files must reside on a publically (well, to each fmp client that is) available file server, and that server must be mounted BEFORE you attempt to view the images in FMP container fields.

Hope this helps!

-Dave

This topic is 8450 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.