Repeating Fields

This topic is 8433 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a Contact's Database which contains contact ID's, contact name, etc.. I also have a logo database which contains information about the different logos the client can use.

What I have so far is a repeating field that is filled in by the sales people with the contact ID's that are "allowed" to use this logo. So this field only displays the contact ID's and is related back to contacts, so the user can see in the contacts file the name of the logos "allowed" to that contact.

What I need is a way to place also the contact name that corresponds with the contact ID in the logos database.

Since the Contact ID field in the logos database is a repeating field, I could not use a relationship and pull the name from contacts since it will only pull for the first repetition..

Any ideas?? HELP!! shocked.gif" border="0 Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Halsley:

Since the Contact ID field in the logos database is a repeating field, I could not use a relationship and pull the name from contacts since it will only pull for the first repetition..

Any ideas?? HELP!!
shocked.gif" border="0
Thanks!

Drop that repeating field like a bad habit. Repeating fields are an old holdover from pre-relational days. I do not advise using repeating fields unless you are an expert and a very careful on what you use them for.

In this case I would simply put the contactIDs into a single text field, each on a seperate line. This is perfectly acceptable from a relational standpoint (known as a multi-line key or multi-key) and now you have full relational capabilities and easy calculations.

This topic is 8433 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.