problem using extend function

This topic is 8416 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm working on Filemaker 5 on a MACOS system. I'm having a problem doing a calculation. I have a non-repeating date field (day a person viewed a program) and want to compare that date to the list of broadcast dates (repeating) that this program aired (giving me an error message if the date does not match any of the broadcast dates). I cannot seem to get the extend function to work and the help example is not that helpful. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

How about showing us the calculation you are trying to use? The Exten() function is used when you have operations between a repeating field (vector) and a no repeating field (scaler). If field "A" and "B" and "C" are all numbers, "A" and "C" are repeating fields with 5 repeats and "B" is a normal number field:

A * B = C gives the result (first column is A, second B, and third C)

1 2 2

2 blank

3 blank

4 blank

5 blank

A * Extend(: = C gives the result

1 2 2

2 4

3 6

4 8

5 10

The extend function make B look like a repeating field with the same value in each repeat for the purposes of a calculation.

-bd

quote:

Originally posted by Wheatman:

I tried using:

If(Extend(Date) = Broadcast Date, "", "Invalid Date")

Make sure that the calculation field above is also a repeating field. Each repeat should then show the status desired.

• Newbies

It still does not work when I make the calculation field repeating. Is there anyway to have the calculation continue until it reaches a true statement and then stop. For example, suppose I have the following:

Program A viewed on 2/3/99

Portal lists date Program A was broadcast

1/3/98

1/5/98

3/6/98

3/24/98

1/28/99

2/3/99

2/13/99

1/28/00

I just need to check that the viewer reported the correct date that the program was viewed. Can filemaker do this?

Thanks, Shannon

• Newbies

It still does not work when I make the calculation field repeating. Is there anyway to have the calculation continue until it reaches a true statement and then stop. For example, suppose I have the following:

Program A viewed on 2/3/99

Portal lists date Program A was broadcast

1/3/98

1/5/98

3/6/98

3/24/98

1/28/99

2/3/99

2/13/99

1/28/00

I just need to check that the viewer reported the correct date that the program was viewed. Can filemaker do this?

Thanks, Shannon

This topic is 8416 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.