Help with value list

Bscott

This topic is 6995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a little newsletter and sell advertising to supplement the cost. The cost buy an ad depends on the size of the ad and the amount of subscribers. For instance RateCard A is for 1000 subscribers. A 2/3 ad would cost you 50.00. Now if subscription rises, I would create a new rate card called RateCard B. What I would like to do, if possible, is create a DB that contains two value lists and returns the current rate for the publication. The two value lists would be AdSize and RateCard.

Right now in the AdClientOrder, I can choose 2/3 and it will show the current price. How do I also ad a value list that if RateCard B is chosen, the price will increase?

I just have two DB's right now...AdClientOrder and RateSpecs. I also have a third DB called RateCard, which contains all of the rates for the sizes. Would it be best to just ad a portal on the AdClientOrder and call the info that way? I guess it would be easier to manually enter everything, but the RateSpecs also contains other info used in the issue DB.

Thanks

I would have one table for ads and one table for the rates with three fields: ad size, subscription number, price. Pop-up a value list from this table to obtain the price. This assumes, of course, that the number of combinations is relatively small and thus suitable for a pop-up. If this is not the case, then you might want to create a formula to compute the price; I can show you how to do that if you can explain the relationship among the variables.

• Newbies

Thanks for the info...I'm new at filemaker so forgive me if I don't understand "relationship among variables"

Ok..let me give you an example of five diffrent ad sizes.....

---Rate Card A

Cover 2 = 125

Cover 3 = 110

Cover 4 = 175

Full Page 4C = 150 (The 4C means 4 color)

2/3 Page 4C = 125

1/2 Page 4C = 90

And so on...there is a total of 17 diffrent ad sizes to choose from.

If subscription increases, then I would create RateCard B. RateCard B will still have the same 17 ad sizes but would reflect a 5% increase in rates. 5% is not absolute just an example.

The goal is not to have to type in the ad size and rate.

Here is what I would like to happen....

---AdClientOrder DB

1) input the current rate card................Enter A

2) Select from a value list the ad size....Select 1/2 4C

3) Returns the current rate....................90.00

Some months later and rates have now increased

--AdClientOrder

1) input the current rate card................Enter B

2) Select from a value list the ad size....Select 1/2 4C

3) Returns the current rate....................105.00

I think I'm making this harder that it should be.

Thanks for the help

Keep the Ad table and the Rate table; the Rate table will have a type field (Cover 2, Cover 3, etc) and a rate for each Rate card (Ad and Rate are linked by the type field). Have two value lists in the Ad table to select the type field and rate card. Then have a calculation field (unstored) (with the Case function) the Rate table (based on the type field) to set its value to the appropriate rate from the rate card field.

This topic is 6995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.