Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help with account# - Amount totals by fiscal Qt

This topic is 7036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm very new at developing in FileMaker Pro 7.0V3, XP Pro SR-2.

I need to develop a database application with

Transaction number - auto serial # field

Transaction date - date field

Account # - number field

Amount - number field.

I need to enter the transactions and then provide a report with date period by fiscal quarter and totaled by account# and amount.

I setup the transactions with no problem.

I have used the date calculations found in the -Queue-#141044 records calc and they work great. Thank's so much -Queue- but I don't know how to do the totals by account# and date all on the same layout.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Bob...

Tarheel:

What you need is a pair of summary fields, each defined to be the sum total of your Amount field (let's call them Client_Total and Grand_Total. Make a list layout, and add a sub-summary (when sorted by Account #) part, with the Account# field in it, then add a sub-summary (when sorted by Account #) part, with the Client_Total field in it, then a trailing grand summary part, with your Grand_Total field in that.

Now, once you've found the right set of records, sort them by Account #, switch to this layout and enter Preview Mode, and you should see a total for each client, and a grand total at the bottom.

Just to be clear, in layout mode, you should have these parts, in this order:

Sub-summary (sorted by Account #) with Account # field in it

Body (single line, as list, with Amount in it somewhere)

Sub-summary (sorted by Account #) with Client_Total

Trailing Grand Summary with Grand_Total

-Stanley

Comment:

I've always done it that way. After reading of your curiosity, I did a simple test and discovered that - aha! - you can use the same field in both places, and it shows a different result in each of the parts. I guess I've been using two different (yet identical) fields because even in Preview Mode, my mind is still in Browse Mode.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer.

-Stanley

I have followed your suggestions and now that problem is solved. Now I get the activity this period and the sub and otoal fields in the layout. Thanks very much. But now I have another problem. I have two other fields that I need calculated in the same layout. Appropriated Amount and %Expended. I can do the calculations but I can't seem to figure out how to get the it to work in the summary report. So I have Appropriated Amount, Activity this Period, Expenditure to date , unencumbered balance and % expended that I need summary lines per account number. Any help would be appreciated.

This topic is 7036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.