GTRR in EXISTING window X

Beat

This topic is 6997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Forgive me if this is too basic a question but this is my first multi-window multi-table-per-file FM7 DB and there's something I just can't seem to get to work (something that was an easy 1-step action in a one-table-per-file environment).

Let's say I have two windows, A and B. Window A contains a portal. When I click a button in a portal row, it should bring up the respective record in B. My problem is that there is no "GTRR in EXISTING window X" command (AFAIK) and if I use SELECT WINDOW first, GTRR won't work anymore. The only way that I see at the moment would be to use a script that selects window B, saves it's size and position in globals, closes window B, reselects window a and then uses "GTRR in NEW window X" to recreate the window. Seems like a huge detour to achieve such a basic task. Is there a better way?

TIA,

Beat

PS: Along the same lines, wouldn't it be nice if SELECT WINDOW and GTRR would give you a simple checkbox option to select an exisiting window or create a new one if a window of that name didn't exist?

Are you showing both windows at the same time? If you only have one window open can you make the GTRR work? Windows can be tricky. You can have 2 windows open to same table that show different sets of data.

Get the GTRR working first.

Thanks. Closing the existing window B and re-creating a new one would be a small and acceptable detour, but the user may have placed and sized the window for his convenience. Recreating the window in the same position and the same size is where things get pretty unwieldy. Probably the least complicated solution would be to freeze window A, GTRR in A, save the record ID to a global, switch back to the original layout, then switch to B and find the record.

In a multi-file single-table-per-file solution, a simple GTRR did the job. I was hoping it wouldn't be more complicated in a single-file muti-table environment. Ah well...

Cheers, Beat

I usually make my windows fill the screen. I use SecureFM plug-in to remove menus, keyboard shortcuts, etc. I limit the user to editing. The administor has a little more power, but not much more. I give the administor some special layouts where they can customize some items.

This topic is 6997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.