Server Maintenance This Week. ×

limit the number of characters in a field

This topic is 7025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there any way I can limit the number of characters a user can enter in a certain field?

I have a script that matches two fields and then displays some related data in a different layout.

Lately it will occasionally display the data from a different field in the record. In each of those cases, the field that is being compared in the find has an extra character, usually a space.

I'm thinking this extra character may be messing up the search (I'm grasping!) and would like to sound an alert or something if the user exceeds 8 characters in that field.

Any ideas?

Thanks--

Susan

Susan,

In Define Fields push the Options button then on the Validation tab you will find Maximum Number of Characters. Check the box and insert 8. That will not allow the user to save a record where the field contains more than 8 characters. He or she could physically enter lots of characters but would get a warning message when trying to save the change.

You may also want to explore the Validated By Calculation method too. That way you could prevent the user from entering carriage returns or spaces.

This topic is 7025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.