Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to have relative paths for shared databases

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I currently have a solution with 5-6 different files and I'm trying to find a way to make my app work when all 6 files are served by filemaker server. Can I use relative paths instead of specifying the server/filename or would the files be opened by filemaker pro itself and not served by filemaker server, which could end up causing corruption? I'm worried about my solution being moved to another machine someday with a different ip# and the program basically losing all the table links between the different tables if the links aren't stated as relative.

If your files are all in the same folder (which they really should be) then you can move that folder anywhere and the solution will work fine. If you're running on FM Server, the same applies. Using relative paths is the way to go.

-Stanley

If your concern is, that you have eg. a launch file on every users machine, and that you don't want to give them an updated version if your fm server change IP address, you should think about using a domain. I use this for a solution, where I have a subdomain, to my client's main domain. (www.sub.domainname.com) This allow me to just change the mx record for that sub domain, if the server change address.

Anyway; YOU SHALL NEVER EVER EVER HAVE FILESHARING SERVICE, THAT ALLOWS ANYONE TO ACCESS THE FM FILES ON THE FM SERVER ! Bypass all fileservices on the FM Server. If you need to copy or replace the files with new ones, use a CD !

;-) Claus

There's something I don't understand. If you try to open a file that filemaker server is currently serving does filemaker pro know enough to contact the filemaker server currently serving it even if you don't specify open remote when you're opening it? For example in my solution all 6 files need to be shared and each may have different users on them. If in my files I just use a relative path and keep all the files in the same folder will filemaker know when it sees a file that is currently being served and to contact the server to open it? Otherwise how do I have a relative path for files that are currently being served?

First, some basics.

The machine running FileMaker Server MUST have file-sharing turned off. This way, users cannot even try to open the files directly. They have to go through Open Remote.. and go via FileMaker Server. Second, when you're using relative paths & the files are open on FM Server, everything is preserved just fine. Third, your users shouldn't have to manually open any files when using your solution - everything should be scripted so that the files are opened for them.

To actually answer your first question, if someone directly opens an FMP file which is currently being served by FM Server, the result will be a corrupted file and a loss of data.

-Stanley

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.