Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal design question for data entry

merkaba22

This topic is 6950 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a portal set up in a first file to create records in a second file with a relationship where: "When deleting a record in this file, also delete related records" is left unchecked.

I have also scripted where a third file will receive the data of the second file in portal with data appearing like that of the portal of the first file.

However, if I use a script to clear or cut the fields of the portal, the related records of the second and third file get its corresponding data "cleared" or "cut" too.

I would like to use the portal of the first file over and over (without relying on creating a new record in the first file, if possible).

One idea was to duplicate the layout for data entry a number of times with corresponding fields in the second file and rewrite the relationship for the third -- seems belabored ....

Is there another way or script whereby I can clear the portal entries of the first file without removing the data from the related data in the second file and third file?

Hi Merka,

It seems that you want to use the first file for data entry only through a portal? You could think of creating two portals with one new relationship "new":

- 1 for data entry (with the relationship "new")

- 2 to keep your data.

I would create a field for instance "status". When clearing the entry in first portal (through a button) you could clear the value "new" and change the value into "old" which places this record in the second portal using the relationship you already have (add the relationship status=status). If you combine a button with a script (set field status "old") this could do it.

I added an example file. Good luck

2portals.zip

That's very cool -- thanks:) Really amazingly clever.

In the previous design I created a new record script in the first file that among other things auto-entered a new record number that was assigned to the portal records. This way data entered at one time could be grouped accordingly.

I am not sure how to accomplish the same thing in this great new design,

• 2 months later...

Kip!

I would like to take on your solution for learning in FM 7 -- I haven't really explored it very much and I thought if I had your example/solution in a FM7 version, it would do a lot to get me started.

Can you help out there? I can see by the number of downloads that its cool what you provided -- thanks:)

This topic is 6950 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.