Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print Setups in Scripts

Kennel

This topic is 7007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have several users across the country using several different printers. Some of the users work in the OSX format on Macs and others are on PCs in the Windows XP environment. There are several reports that these users print out using scripted buttons. They are prompted to acknowledge the platform they are working in so the script with the proper Print Setup will be used.

With the installment of Windows XP we had Print Setup failure because the Printer Driver files were different names on all of the computers. We solved that by having the users reinstall their printer driver files, but renaming them, with a common name (FMP Printer), as they installed them. All print scripts, setup for Windows, address this common printer driver file.

This worked well until the latest XP upgrade. Even though the print setup is saved to a script on an XP machine the settings are lost when the script is run on the newer XP machines. Has anyone experienced the same issue? If so, is there a solution to this maddness?

Everytime Windows hiccups all goes to hell in a hand basket.

Your solution is to NOT specify a specific printer - that can only work for a single machine using a stand-alone FMP file(s).

FileMaker is set to use the default system printer. The only thing you want to define in the print setup is: current record or records being browsed (found set)B) and either landscape or portrait orientation.

To allow users to specify a different printer or # copies in the printing process is to have the Print[] script step to perform WITH dialog.

In a shared file environment, I would recommend scripting all printing, just so the user doesn't get lost in a wrong layout with no way out.

Just ensure that your printed layouts have fixed page margins set (I use .5 for all sides) - it will guarantee consistent printing no matter what printer or OS is used. Also the use of merge fields whenever possible will ensure more consistent printing between printers and OS's.

You should be able to change the default FM printer for a single machine by using Print Setup and not selecting 'No dialog'. I put a 'Change Printer' button in my solutions to do just that. Then, when a Print step is next run, it should use the most recently selected printer.

What does any of this have to do with Importing & Exporting, though? Ask.gif

Hi JT,

What does any of this have to do with Importing & Exporting, though?

Maybe they thought that XP stood for eXPORT B)?

You do know that you also have the ability to move a Miss Post?

Lee cool.gif

This topic is 7007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.