Page Setup Problem

TSC

This topic is 6958 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Running FM 7.03 and have a solution that requires a few different print setups. Basically, a label from a label printer, and reports from a variety of ink jet and laser printers.

When I setup the script to run the print setup it doesn't work. As soon as I save in ScriptMaker and return to the script it returns to the default printer and page setup.

Anyone else seen this and know of a fix?

Setups can be saved, but specific printers cannot be, AFAIK. You can change the default printer via a script containing only a Print Setup [ ] step. I usually create a Change Printer button for such needs and inform users to use it to select the appropriate printer before running a particular report.

• 3 weeks later...

In Windows, you can do printer changes with BATch files to change Registry entries and run within FileMaker. If you are not comfortable with mucking around in the Registy, I do not recommend it. The other caveat is that with W2K and XP the user must have Power-user or administrator rights on the machine or the BATch file fails. Also, in a multi-user environment, the printers must have the same name on all machines.

...Otherwise I suggest using Queue's suggestion. It's not an elegant solution, but it does work.

In Windows, you can do printer changes with BATch files to change Registry entries and run within FileMaker. If you are not comfortable with mucking around in the Registy, I do not recommend it. The other caveat is that with W2K and XP the user must have Power-user or administrator rights on the machine or the BATch file fails. Also, in a multi-user environment, the printers must have the same name on all machines.

...Otherwise I suggest using Queue's suggestion. It's not an elegant solution, but it does work.

Queue,

I've done a search on default printer and still cannot find an answer I believe.

You can change the default printer via a script containing only a Print Setup [ ] step.

But this only lasts for that particular script. Is there a way to change the printer for a series of scripts? I have a solution where, currently, we print a series of reports from one button - anything from 2 to 20 reports (all single page). I want to give the users a choice at the front to print all of this stuff on a particular printer rather than have to show the Print[] dialogue window for each page.

Queue,

I've done a search on default printer and still cannot find an answer I believe.

You can change the default printer via a script containing only a Print Setup [ ] step.

But this only lasts for that particular script. Is there a way to change the printer for a series of scripts? I have a solution where, currently, we print a series of reports from one button - anything from 2 to 20 reports (all single page). I want to give the users a choice at the front to print all of this stuff on a particular printer rather than have to show the Print[] dialogue window for each page.

Queue,

Have the Print Setup [] (with dialog) in a separate script, then run it from your print script. It should change the printer until you change it back.

When I use this method, I use global fields to capture the old printer name and then the new printer after the print setup script runs. Then I can check to have the user change the printer back if they changed it, at least before they close the file.

Have the Print Setup [] (with dialog) in a separate script, then run it from your print script. It should change the printer until you change it back.

When I use this method, I use global fields to capture the old printer name and then the new printer after the print setup script runs. Then I can check to have the user change the printer back if they changed it, at least before they close the file.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. (Ooops!)

I want to have a Print Setup[] (with dialog) to let the user change the printer and then Print Setup(no dialog) and Print(no dialog) to print the rest of the set of reports. I have not been able to get the changed printer to hold across subsequent Print Setup (no dialog) and Print (no dialog) steps.

I want to have a Print Setup[] (with dialog) to let the user change the printer and then Print Setup(no dialog) and Print(no dialog) to print the rest of the set of reports. I have not been able to get the changed printer to hold across subsequent Print Setup (no dialog) and Print (no dialog) steps.

Interesting. If I change the printer using a script containing only Print Setup [ ], it changes the default printer for FileMaker. The change remains permanent until the script is called again and a different printer is selected. This works on Win98, 2000, Me, and XP for me.

Have you found no way of changing the default then?

Interesting. If I change the printer using a script containing only Print Setup [ ], it changes the default printer for FileMaker. The change remains permanent until the script is called again and a different printer is selected. This works on Win98, 2000, Me, and XP for me.

This topic is 6958 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.