Filemaker V3 invoice template

This topic is 2320 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I'm looking for verification that v3 of the Filemaker Pro templates included

a template called invoicing and if so, I would like to locate a copy of said

template for a project. Any suggestions on where I might find said file if it still is available or exists? I've tried googling to no avail (so far).

TIA.

Skingjack

I'm not sure if there is an invoicing template, but if there is it will be part of the FMP 7 install. IOW you need to buy as copy of FMP.

Then from the File menu choose New Database and select a template form the menu. Or something like that.

Hello Lee & Co.,

Thanks for the tip re: the integrated solution. I actually came across this solution just recently and have been modifying it to suit my project. Unfortunately I have come across a stumbling block for which I need some guidance... using the aforementioned solution, on the invoice file the portal entries are totalled by the calculation =sum(line items::line item total".

This calculates the total for all the entries in the portal- the question is can this calculation be broken down/refined into separate components based on the content of the description field. For example, I have a included a "part #" for labor which enters the appropriate labor amount as well as the usual part numbers for any materials used. Can I have this as a separate calculation to calculate a subtotal for the parts used as well as subtotal for the accumulated labor charges? I suspect the answer would be some sort of a If statement to get the desired results but uncertain how to do. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

TIA.

Ian

P.S.if this sounds confusing, I can send a screenshot to better illustrate

what I'm trying to acheive.

Hello again,

Decided I had better post a screenshot anyways- in pdf format , size = 8k

What I'm attempting to do is break the entries in the portal into 2 subtotals

calculations: 1= labor subtotal... the other a parts subtotal.

I thought this function might work for a labor subtotal but no luck

"If(Line Items::Product ID = 99, Sum(Line Items::Line Item Total), 0)"

Any thoughts?

Ian

Picture2.pdf

Paul J.,

I'm sorry to say that I'm still stymied. I reviewed the case function

& get the gist of how it works. I tried creating the fields you suggested

but in both cases when trying to save the calculation FM would return an error

message... either field " LaborTypeLine or PartTypeLine" doesn't exist.Do these fields need to be created and added to the portal?

Ian

Yes you would need to create those fields in the related (Line Items) file. Or instead, do it using your existing Product ID 99 as you indicated earlier:

LaborLine = Case( Product ID = 99, LineItemTotal )

PartLine = Case(Product ID <> 99, LineItemTotal )

Now you can separately subtotal those fields. Or you could just create the LaborLine field and subtotal it for labor, and for the Parts subtotal subtract Total - Labor subtotal.

Sorry, Ian.

I assumed you already had some field that distinguished a Labout line from a Part line. So , yes, you do need such a field. Call it, say, Type. It can have two values - "L" or "P".

My shortcut test 'PartTypeLine' then stands for <Type = 'P'>. So we'd have

Part2 [calculation] = case(Type = "P", LineItemTotal, 0)

Make sense now?

Old Fogey & Fitch,

Your responses were much appreciated ... certainly helped me resolve

the problem & learn about the case function (never heard of it before!)

Now another function to understand ... date to text & date related calculations.

I have one other problem that has now surfaced.Is it possible to create a date field and have the user choose a date from, say, the last 7-10 days in xx/xx/200x format (via a pop up value list?). What currently happens is that the input clerk creates all the invoices on Friday for distribution over the weekend. Obviously when the clerk creates the solution if invoice date is set to auto enter current date, all invoices for that week will reflect that data entry date. I would like the clerk to be able to choose a day 7-10 days prior to reflect the actual day the work was performed. I imagine the answer would include some sort of text to date calculation...but I have absolutely NO knowledge on to date calcs. Any quick & easy thoughts as to hwo to attack this problem? (The real easy answer to the problem is obviously to have the workers input the data for the work they have performed each day in a different file and then create the necessary relationships etc. to grab this data & place into the invoice file but this is meeting resistance from the client *at present*)

TIA.

Skingjack.

P.S. Old Fogey... like the signature =)

Quick and dirty:

Set up a separate file consisting of 10 records with serial numbers (auto-entered) from 1 to 10. Create a field -

CalcDate [calculation] = Status(CurrentDate) + Serial

Use that field as a Value List in your main file.

And I just had a thought!! Not sure if you could do that in V4.

Might get you going, anyway. Sorry.

Quick and dirty:

Set up a separate file consisting of 10 records with serial numbers (auto-entered) from 1 to 10. Create a field -

Quick and dirty:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Oldfogey,

Sorry for the delay in replying. As you've noted the solution you provided to my most recent query is not workable in v4; I've decided that it would be easiest for the individual to manually add the date the work was actually performed. KISS rule in effect =)

Your efforts (& everyone elses) is much appreciated.

Skingjack

Hello Oldfogey,

Sorry for the delay in replying. As you've noted the solution you provided to my most recent query is not workable in v4; I've decided that it would be easiest for the individual to manually add the date the work was actually performed. KISS rule in effect =)

Your efforts (& everyone elses) is much appreciated.

Skingjack

• 12 years later...
On 2/17/2005 at 7:21 AM, Lee Smith said:

I don't know about v3, but here is the "Integrated Solution" that was included with v4. It includes an Invoice file.

IntegratedSolution.zip

Hi Lee,

I am in the process of trying to convert the IntegratedSolution you provided to run under FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced. Clearly there is a lot to be done. One issue that has me stymied is that a file named New Client Data Base or possibly Main Menu NCDB is being requested and their isn't a file by this name in the files provided. Is this created on the fly?

Kindest regards,

Murray

Hi Murry,

Are you still using FileMaker Pro 11 Advance, or have you upgraded to a new version?  

This is a REAL OLD solution and I'm pretty sure that  you can do better then to convert these files to your current FileMaker Version.

3 hours ago, murrayf3 said:

New Client Data Base or possibly Main Menu NCDB

Only one of these files were in the Integrated Solution Folder, and that was Main Menu. The NCDB file was one of my file and I don't remember sharing it. Usually you can bypass converting a file and it will continue. One of the files has the startup script opening the NCDB file, but I don't see the purpose of it.

I have converted the files, but before I relink them, I need to know what FileMaker Version you are using. If it is v11, I can't do the changes as my file is very unstable in 10.13.2  (High Sierra).

Let me know,

Lee

Edited by Lee Smith
Lots of changes in ref to files

Hi again murrayf3,

UPDATE:

The Integrated Solution was a free template or demo file that came with FileMaker 3/4? My post was in response to the request of the Original Poster.

I don't remember these files at all. However, I must have used them for testing some things in my contact database NCDB, and that would account for why it's an External Data Source (EDS) in these files.

Unfortunately, now that I'm committed to using High Sierra, I can't develop or even open v11 files. FileMaker crashes doing the simplest of things. After several crashes I gave up and converted them in 16, in order to see what would be involved in migrating them to version 11. :idunno: 

IMHO you would be better off just creating them in FileMaker 11. Have you looked at the Templates that came with v11? There are several Templates that, for the most part, are newer versions of the Integrated Solution.

If you want to be able to work with these Files, you will first need to fix the broken stuff.

When opening the files, you will need to cancel a lot of "can't find the file...."  Or whatever the message says. Anyway, the files should still open.

Once opened, go through the files one by one, and fix the External Data Sources. Remove the ones labeled 2, or 3 and redirect original EDS to where the file is now located. Every file needs to be fixed. Remove any and all references to NCDB (you will find several are EDS) and there are some in the Scripts steps (Opening Scripts and Steps to other files). You will need to repoint scripts, update the Relationships, button links, etc.

Good luck,

Lee

10 hours ago, Lee Smith said:

Hi Murry,

Are you still using FileMaker Pro 11 Advance, or have you upgraded to a new version?  

This is a REAL OLD solution and I'm pretty sure that  you can do better then to convert these files to your current FileMaker Version.

Only one of these files were in the Integrated Solution Folder, and that was Main Menu. The NCDB file was one of my file and I don't remember sharing it. Usually you can bypass converting a file and it will continue. One of the files has the startup script opening the NCDB file, but I don't see the purpose of it.

I have converted the files, but before I relink them, I need to know what FileMaker Version you are using. If it is v11, I can't do the changes as my file is very unstable in 10.13.2  (High Sierra).

Let me know,

Lee

Hi Lee,

I'm afraid that the setting in my profile is in error. There isn't a selection for FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced. I've set it back to null.

The Integrated Solution Folder contains the Main Menu but not the New Contact Database. At this point it looks like conversion is going to be a slog.

I am attempting to produce a data base that will allow me to produce invoices for a small home owners association. I want to keep track of the current owner information, invoice them for dues, track dues payments as well as association expenses. I also need to produce an annual report for the Treasurer. If I had a schema for the original data base I'm sure that I could get things sorted out but if you have a better idea I'm all ears. One thing I'm sure of is that I don't want to spend any money on an upgraded version of FileMaker.

Thank you for your help with this.

Murray

Hi murray,

45 minutes ago, murrayf3 said:

The Integrated Solution Folder contains the Main Menu but not the New Contact Database. At this point it looks like conversion is going to be a slog.

I thought I covered this.

The New Contact Database = NCDB = My database created for my own use. It was never part of the Integrated Solution, and it never was in that folder.  I said to delete NCDB where ever you see it in these files, i.e. EDS, scripts, script steps, etc.. I can't redo these files you have, because I can't open them, and the ones I migrated can't be opened by you because you don't have a FileMaker 12 or above.

The second part of my last post tells you what you need to do.

45 minutes ago, murrayf3 said:

One thing I'm sure of is that I don't want to spend any money on an upgraded version of FileMaker

Don't make it sound like we are sending you to the gallows. LOL

FileMaker 9 has the same files in the Templates folder as 11. Have you looked at them?

I joked about this, but seriously the versions you have mentioned are not being supported by anyone anymore. In fact, FileMaker Inc. only supports the current version plus two back, that would be 16, 15 and 14. The FMForums supports the versions 11, 12, 13 , 14, 15 and 16. FileMaker Pro v 9 hit it's prime when it was released in July 2007, Seven Versions ago.  

If you were on a Macintosh, you probably would have been unable to use 9 since about 2009 or 10.  

Lee

Hi Lee,

The solutions that are included in the templates folder are not integrated and really don't fit what I'm trying to do. I'm working through the Integrated Solutions files and plan to reconstitute it as a single file database. I am having to relearn a lot as it has been a long time since I last used FM (mostly between 2001 and 2004). I was an early adopter in 1984 or 5 when it was first introduced by Claris/Apple on the Macintosh. My technical career has covered a lot of ground since then. 

FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced is still a very functional DB platform on Windows 10. I haven't even had to resort to compatibility mode (yet). The goals that I have are well within it's capabilities and spending money on the latest version isn't going to get me anything that I need for my application. Last night I worked through most of the tutorials and will finish the rest of them today. Digging through the Integrated Solutions files is getting me back up to speed.

Thank you very much for the feed back. I think I can handle it from here.

Kindest regards,

Murray 

This topic is 2320 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.