Run Script Files AppleScript FMS7

This topic is 6859 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a simple AppleScript I would like to run 30 minutes after my backups to copy them to a removeable drive if the drive is mounted. Simple enough in FMS 5.5 but when I create a script in FMS7 that is to run script file, choose my AppleScript that is saved as an application, nothing happens. The AppleScript copies the files fine if I double click on it in Finder and I have checked to make sure fmserver has permissions to read and write. Any clues???

• 3 weeks later...

I called Filemaker on this one, stumped the first helper who forwarded my script to upper level support, still without answer. Seems to be that FMS cannot run some types of AppleScript. I have attached a solution till they figure it out though. Thanks to Fenton's help able to have the AppleScript run at specified times.

3/9/05 Fixed the bug where time differential was missed at end of day

I called Filemaker on this one, stumped the first helper who forwarded my script to upper level support, still without answer. Seems to be that FMS cannot run some types of AppleScript. I have attached a solution till they figure it out though. Thanks to Fenton's help able to have the AppleScript run at specified times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

came across this looking for related info; just wanted to mention that the attached script will spend most of its time in the "delay" function, which is unfortunately, due to its Carbon roots, CPU intensive; a simple alternative is to use the shell "sleep" command; to see what i mean, use a CPU graphing tool like XRG, and watch while you run the following two lines of AppleScript and compare the impacts:

do shell script "sleep 15" -- low impact

delay 15 -- high impact

also, what i think FM support was stumped on was the fact that a compiled script application (.app) can't be run from the FMS Schedule function, since it is treated as an application and must be connected to a WindowServer session (even if it doesn't do anything in the GUI); FMS doesn't run in a regular user session, so it has no WindowServer; if you try to schedule a script application, you will see messages in the console log about this

This topic is 6859 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.