Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Re: TextStyleAdd in email calculation

This topic is 6867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am working in FM 7.0 and am creating email templates through calulations. I am trying to style the text with bold/italic/underline etc. I have attempted the instructions provided in the help menu but nothing seems to work.

Ordinarily I am creating calculations like:

("Hello " &data::first name & "," & "

The textstyle function works great when viewed on screen and printing. When I try to Send Mail, the formatting is striped so all of the text (in the body) is uniform in size, color, and style. I'm using Eudora as my Email program, and that is a very commonly-used program. I'm suspecting that it'll do the same with other programs.

I guess this is something FileMaker either forgot, or purposely did. I could see if it tried to pass a font style that your email program doesn't accept - that could cause problems.

I know there are several different Email plugins available, but I don't know if any of them address this problem, or provide a solution that will be "better than nothing".

-Brent

There are a few plug-ins that are available that may get around this limitation. I believe both of them send the email body as HTML, so it'll depend on if the receiver's email program can read HTML or not. Most programs will, so it shouldn't be a problem. I haven't tested either one out, but the white papers I've got seems that it'll address your issue plus more -

iMailer - www.datadesigns.com

Sendmail - fusionplugins.com (this one requires no mail client, which seems rather cool)

• 4 months later...

I'm having a related problem with TextStyleAdd...

I have a text field set up for the user to enter in the name for a new file. After filling in the field, they click a Submit button which triggers a script. The script makes a copy of a template file and renames it with the data from the field, which is passed in as a script parameter (I have also tried just using the field contents, but get the same result). My problem is this: I want to force the new file's name to be all uppercase, but it always ends up exactly as the data was entered via the keyboard. I have tried setting the text format for the field to UPPERCASE on the layout, and that works fine on the screen, but in the script, the data is still exactly as entered. (I was typing all lowercase letters to test with.)

I have tried numerous combinations of the TextStyleAdd function in my script, but it doesn't affect the outcome at all. I still get lowercase letters. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Doh! How did I miss that one? Oh yeah... when I opened the "help" page for functions by category and clicked on "Text Formatting Functions", it wasn't there. I didn't look under regular text functions, or I missed it when I did. I still think TextStyleAdd shoulda worked, though. wink.gif

Thanks, comment, you da man!

This topic is 6867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.