Access Filemaker Pro 7 via IP

LVA

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a computer running Windows XP Home Edition and Filemaker Pro 7.

I opened a file called Task.fp7 and I have a fixed IP number for this computer.

I have set sharing filemaker to ON and network access to all users.

When I try to open this file from a computer out of the office the file doesn

Are you trying to open it from another FM Pro client using 'open remote'? Because you absolutely need to do that. If you are going in through the normal file system (by using 'open'), you are trying to become the 'owner' of a file that is already owned: by the Pro client that sits on the computer in the office. Instead of that, you need to be a guest.

You need to go to: File - Open remote. Type the IP adress of your office machine and it should go better. (Provided you have also allowed the file to be shared out over fmnet in the accounts and priviliges section).

You do NOT want file sharing turned on - that will kill performance and destroy your file. You DO want port 5003 open in whatever firewall software you may be using.

So, once you go through 'open remote', you can see the hosted file, but can't open it. I heard, but as I am lousy at network stuff I don't even really understand this, let alone know how to solve it, that the broadcasting of the whereabouts of the file is done over UDP and the actual network traffic done over TCP/IP and that it is indeed possible to block either one with a router.

Maybe someone who does know about networks could comment on this?

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.