Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scripting resource

This topic is 7008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I keep thinking my first database is almost finished and then I start working on the layouts, the buttons and the scripts and pretty soon the day is half-over smirk.gif

Two questions: Is there a really good print resource (book) on scripting that is relevant to FMP 7? Something with explanations in plain English and with good examples would be very nice. The help file is not bad, but I can't really read it in bed.....

Is there a limit on how many scripts one can create in one file? My list is growing and I find myself wishing for folders like in my browser application......

For a beginner, you should read Learn FileMaker Pro 7 by Stars, et. al., and work through all the end-of-chapter problems. However, be aware that there are many typos in the book which may cause you some frustration--so go to the authors' Web site and retrieve the errata.

I actually did get that book. It kind of got me started. Unfortunately, I don't have FileMaker on my home computer and I don't have time at work to do a lot of learning exercises. The database is only a small part of my job and I work on it when I have time. What I'd really like is something I can study in my spare time at home that would go through each of the scripts one at at time and explain what they are used for and how, when and where to use them. Some are more obvious than others. I've looked at Scriptology in the past (pre-7) and, as I remember, it was a good book but I read that it didn't really apply to FMP7. I don't need to get confused . crazy.gif

This is a little outdated because it was written for FMP5 and works with 6, but if you can get a hold of Scriptology you will find it an invalauble tool. It is out of print and a little tricky to find, but well worth the effort. All of the solutions I have converted to FMP 7 work, so wheras it was not written with 7 in mind it is still agreat resource and provides excellent ideas for how to incorporate solutions into your own databases.

Steve

This topic is 7008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.