Server Maintenance This Week. ×

return to record

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I'm referring to an old post about returning to a specific record - in my case, after having conducted searches and omitted some records plus created new records- and to the following replies:

You may want to try the simple expedient of stashing the record ID in a global at the beginning of your process, and then finding the record via that global at the end. In a very large file this can be a bit slow, but it's guaranteed to work, at the least.

and the incomprehensible:

Indexed finds are very fast, even with large databases. However, it may be easier to use a self-join relationship between the global field you are storing the last record ID in and the record ID field. Then use a Go to Related record [] script step to jump to the record.

Well, I followed the first advice and when tried: Go to Record/Request/Page ["my global field"], I cannot get back to the original record. It seems that as I omit records the unique ID assigned to my original record changes and let's say record ID 200 becomes 208 because I omitted 8 records.

Can anyone help in simple terms? Thank you

Mike is spot-on of course. But I also see a concern here ...

the unique ID assigned to my original record changes and let's say record ID 200 becomes 208 because I omitted 8 records.

The unique ID should NEVER change. Are you using the Record number instead? Because, whether you use a unique serial ID or FM's internal RecordID, neither would ever change. You might want to take a look at that issue.

• Newbies

Thank you! I practically copied most of Ender's file and it works wonderfully.

As far as the unique ID changing is concerned I still don't understand what I was doing wrong. It also seemed too me that I was getting the record NUMBER and not the desired ID.

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.