Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Evaluate(field1) in FM6 ??

This topic is 6990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A plugin would definitely be the easiest solution, but if you're a total cheapskate like me, there are a couple of other options.

1. Generate VBscript (or Applescript on a Mac) to evaluate the expression, copy and paste the result into a field.

2. If you happen to have access to a SQL-based database server, you can use it to evaluate some arbitrary math expressions by assiging the calculation to a field, then importing the result back into Filemaker via ODBC.

We did it off-list and gave up after facing nearly insurmountable frustrations. It is so much easier in 7, that it might be worth upgrading simply for that feature. I'm not sure of a specific plug-in, but a google search for calculator filemaker plug-in would probably help you find one.

It wasn't that complicated tongue.gif

But when the job was done and ready to be on the market, the FMI decided to launch FM7 wink.gif

I just looked my HD but I can't find it anymore, at least at home. I may have it digged somewhere at the office. I will check.

It was when we got to an overload of parens, order of operations, and other things I can't recall. I was fairly certain we threw in the towel after a while, or at least you never told me you were still tweaking it. wink.gif

Hi,

This one says 6 december 1993 JayTee....

I know our "project" didn't survived my Xmas digestion, but I don't think it is our latest as there aren't any repeaters in it...lol laugh.gif

I can't remember what the latest was doing as this one seems to do the job of almost all combinations of parens I could have ordered here...?

<shrug> Somehow I think that should be 2003. Was it really that long ago?

I can look for a more recent version at home later. Congrats if you solved the paren problem. I wasn't aware of that progress. smile.gif

Hi, Ugo (it's possible that my English is not so good as I wish)

it was wonderful to look and learn !!

I think you are a "genius" !

I'm very sorry for you that after a while come FM7.

Thanks for the kind words.

It was 2003 JayTee and I'm sure you did work on this one too, as the filename uses your documented methodology. smile.gif

As I can remember, the "all repeaters" approach which you were struggling with, without any script, was reliable although a bit longer.

I have no regret FM7 was launched hopefully. It was fun anyway.

This topic is 6990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.