Google Maps

Ted S

This topic is 6641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Yep, its no wonder Google seems to be doing well.

The Local Search page seems to be particularly handy if you are looking for hotels in your area for instance.

I also like where you type the entire address into one field rather than tabbing to all of the different address fields with the other mapping services. Another nifty feature; you simply put the word "from" in front of your from address and "to" in front of the to address and it does the rest.

The ability to drag the map around speaks for itself. Those Google guys did a really fine job!

Check out the freeways in L.A., CA. Frightening!

The local search works on the most recently selected area, too. Zoom in on Pennsylvania and then type in 'best buy'. Voila!

WOW. Wow. Visually beautiful... pans like a dream. Was anybody else as impressed as i was by the shadow behind the pop-up balloons in the local view? Search for your home address to see what i mean. That's not even getting into the functionality.

Thanks, Ted!

I think the map behaves like it does because it is not a single image. It looks to me like it's a grid or matrix made up of multiple images butting up against each other so it looks like one image. This probably explains why the map covers more territory if you are running at higher resolutions and why it pans so quickly.

One other thing I noticed is that if you click on "Link to this page", the URL contains some numbers that look to be latitude and longitude. Makes me think this will connect up nicely with GPS units.

My last non-technical observation is that the map is very readable. Unlike Yahoo and Mapquest, the roads on google have some width to them. Enough space for the names. To me this makes a much cleaner presentation. I also like the fact that the more traveled roads are yellow whereas the side streets are white.

It's nice to see that others appreciate what they have done. I sent the link to a bunch of my non-technical friends last week and all I got was yawns and "I still like Yahoo because I have it bookmarked" responses. I had a feeling that FileMaker folks would understand how revolutionary some of this is.

Ted:

It is indeed a matrix of images. I was wandering around the map when my DSL line hit a bump in the road, and a grid of "?" images appeared in the Google Map window.

It is awfully impressive, I must say, although I managed to crash it by following some dashed lines (ferry routes?) eastward off the east coast of Newfoundland (or some such place up there in NE Canada).

-Stanley

I noticed that, too. Either we're not important enough, we're smaller land-wise, or it's a glitch. My guess is that they try to avoid Fresno for as long as possible, not that I can completely blame them...

I'm not sure, but it would seem the different levels of magnification are different image files altogether, and the appearance and disappearance of names seems nearly random. Looking at the small town in SE Pennsylvania where my girlfriend is from, the town name appears on pretty much every other level of zoom, once you're close enough in for it to count as a town. Then, when I'm close enough in to read the street names, there's no town name at all.

It is a beta, after all.

- Stanley

• 3 weeks later...

Using Netscape V7.2 and it can't find Beacon Hill, NSW!!!

Couldn't get it to enlarge Poughkeepsie. NY. (Where, for my sins, I spent some time.)

Can't wait until they find out about the world outside the USA. Looks really good so far.

Using Netscape V7.2 and it can't find Beacon Hill, NSW!!!

Couldn't get it to enlarge Poughkeepsie. NY. (Where, for my sins, I spent some time.)

Can't wait until they find out about the world outside the USA. Looks really good so far.

• 2 weeks later...

New feature in Google Maps: Satellite images. You can find the satellite image the same way as their normal map. Very cool.

In my city, the images are a little inconsistent. Where I live in Minneapolis, I can zoom in to actually see which house is mine, but a couple miles away, the resolution is very poor.

I like where this technology is going!

Here are satellite images of some interesting places, if you're lazy like me and want to see what they look like without actually going there.

The Vegas Strip

Cape Cod

Sears Tower, Chicago

Statue of Liberty

Central Park, New York City

Washington, D.C. Note the blurred out images of the Capital and White House

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

Giants Stadium, San Francisco

J.W. Marriott, Phoenix Host of FileMaker DevCon 2005

Grand Canyon

Hoover Dam

Apple Computer, Cupertino

The Florida Keys

Niagara Falls

Pebble Beach Golf Links

Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral

University of Minnesota

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I mentioned it to the folks at Filemaker during the DevCon, but they were not so enthusiastic about it. But I believe if Fielemaker can spend a little more time on developing applications that utilize/manupulate the use of latitudes and longitudes, that would be a breakthrough for Filemaker Mobile. Imagine Filemaker Mobile that can be used for mapping applications!!! or if they want to maintain the status quo of Mobile, how about another new line of Filemaker called Filemaker Mapping!!!

Google has definitely hit the spot.

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.