"Created By" field for each new record

This topic is 6723 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When a user logs into my db and creates a new record I would like their user name to appear on that record - is it possible to do this in FM 6? (it appears that it can be done in 7).

Thanks for your help.

Yes. in a text field you can specify Auto-enter and select 'Creator Name'. Also check 'Prohibit modification of value' if you don't want anyone to change this value. If the field is not going to be displayed on any layout, that would not be necessary.

That works great but I have 3 or 4 users that can log into the db. The "Creator Name" seems to take the name of the computer and not the individual logged-in user names.

Any way around this? There seems to be a Get(Account Name) function in v.7 that would probably work

Thanks

OK, I'm confused as to exactly what "user name" you are refering to. The 'creator name' is the user name that is entered in the application preferences if FileMaker client. Are your users using the same computer? Was the same 'user name' entered in FileMaker on every machine?

There is no equivalent Get(Account Name) in V6, Version 6 and earlier did not have account names.

Another option would be to assign a different password for each user and assign each password to a different group (This is the older version equivalent to the V7 account name). You can then capture the group name and either use that as the user name or extrapolate the group into the related user name.

A third option would be to link a "Users" file to get user data. Using a pseudo-logon screen and have the user enter thier name or other identifying information to find the appropriate record in the user file.

Cbntor:

You can build your own login in a database, then store the login username in a global, which you can then access at any point in your solution. Remember that in a networked environment, globals are client-specific, so work great for this kind of thing.

-Stanley

• 7 months later...

I'm am very interested in this subject -- ultimately, in a client server configuration. Right now I am building this as a stand alone file.

I created a login with Get (user name) but it does not get the user name (as indicated in preferences), it gets the account name (admin).

When I create a new record nothing is inserted in the "created by" field (along with the auto-generated creation date) or "modified by" field (along with the auto-generated modification date) -- how can I accomplish this?

I figured out how to add Get (user anme) to a "new record" script for each layout.

I have no idea how to trigger a version of that when a field in a layout is modified -- any suggestions?

btw: admin disappeared and the real user name is now showing up correctly .... I think it is between God and Filemaker:)

This topic is 6723 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.