Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Library system

This topic is 6994 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been assigned to redo a library type system. The current system was done in 4 and 5.

There are 3 main db's, one each for pictures, documents and audio/video. Each one has a few similar fields but most are different.

There are 3 category db's, one each for building, corporations and subject matter. There are 3 line items db's.

So the pictures database has 3 portals to show any buildings, corportations or subjects related to the picture. Same with the other two - documents and audio/video.

I think I should combine the main db's into one table and the category db's into one table and line items into one table and have one portal in the main for any category.

Is there anything wrong with this idea or a better idea?

Thanks,

R

I've been assigned to redo a library type system. The current system was done in 4 and 5.

There are 3 main db's, one each for pictures, documents and audio/video. Each one has a few similar fields but most are different.

There are 3 category db's, one each for building, corporations and subject matter. There are 3 line items db's.

So the pictures database has 3 portals to show any buildings, corportations or subjects related to the picture. Same with the other two - documents and audio/video.

I think I should combine the main db's into one table and the category db's into one table and line items into one table and have one portal in the main for any category.

Thanks,

R

Thanks,

R

The fact that you say "most (fields) are different" tells me these should be different tables. Are there any other considerations that should evaluated? What are the advantages of reduciing the number of tables? What are the disadvantages of reduciing the number of tables?

Is this from 5 to 6 or 5 to 7?

The fact that you say "most (fields) are different" tells me these should be different tables. Are there any other considerations that should evaluated? What are the advantages of reduciing the number of tables? What are the disadvantages of reduciing the number of tables?

From 5 to 7. A couple of reasons why I'm looking at the main as one table. First is eventually this will be searchable from the web and I'm thinking it would be easier to have one table. Second, it would seem to me that they are the same type of records, just in a different category. The different fields are mostly descriptive for that type of record, the pictures have who the photographer was, if they are slides, negatives, etc, the documents who the publiser is, year of publication, author, etc. I've never done a library system before so I'm thinking out loud here.

From 5 to 7. A couple of reasons why I'm looking at the main as one table. First is eventually this will be searchable from the web and I'm thinking it would be easier to have one table. Second, it would seem to me that they are the same type of records, just in a different category. The different fields are mostly descriptive for that type of record, the pictures have who the photographer was, if they are slides, negatives, etc, the documents who the publiser is, year of publication, author, etc. I've never done a library system before so I'm thinking out loud here.

I talked with someone who is familiar with this database. Apparently it's setup the way it is because it was originally 3 completely seperate db's in 3 different departments. When the departments were combined they were bundled together. They were all originally designed in FM3 for simple data tracking. She doesn't know who combined them.

I'll see if I can find a librarian to talk to.

I talked with someone who is familiar with this database. Apparently it's setup the way it is because it was originally 3 completely seperate db's in 3 different departments. When the departments were combined they were bundled together. They were all originally designed in FM3 for simple data tracking. She doesn't know who combined them.

Interestingly, the FMP7 example has one table for different types - book, software, equipment. However I talked with a person who says he has done quite a bit of data modeling and he thinks that you would have a seperate table for each, one for book one for software and one for equipment.

Interestingly, the FMP7 example has one table for different types - book, software, equipment. However I talked with a person who says he has done quite a bit of data modeling and he thinks that you would have a seperate table for each, one for book one for software and one for equipment.

This topic is 6994 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.