Import fields not in same order as export

This topic is 7005 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm testing out FM7 (as a naive user). I wanted to see how export/import would work ... naively thinking that if I exported in tabbed format, then I would be able to import that same file straight into the same file without effort, but when I did so, the order of the fields is different.

I cannot seem to specify that the import order matches the existing table field order. Is it possible to do this or do I have to do this manually?

I'm testing out FM7 (as a naive user). I wanted to see how export/import would work ... naively thinking that if I exported in tabbed format, then I would be able to import that same file straight into the same file without effort, but when I did so, the order of the fields is different.

I cannot seem to specify that the import order matches the existing table field order. Is it possible to do this or do I have to do this manually?

After you choose Export, select filename and then file format, Tab in your case. Then choose which fields you wish to export. At this point you can click and drag just to the left of the field names that you moved over to export and change the export order.

After you choose Export, select filename and then file format, Tab in your case. Then choose which fields you wish to export. At this point you can click and drag just to the left of the field names that you moved over to export and change the export order.

I'm not sure I follow ... I wanted to export the entire file. When I did that the fields were exported in the same order as they were in the table that I was exporting. But when I attempted to import them into the same table, the list of mapped fields did not correspond to the original order. I ultimately had to reorder every field by hand as there did not appear to be an option to map the import fields to the table in that order. That was a very tedious process.

I'm not sure I follow ... I wanted to export the entire file. When I did that the fields were exported in the same order as they were in the table that I was exporting. But when I attempted to import them into the same table, the list of mapped fields did not correspond to the original order. I ultimately had to reorder every field by hand as there did not appear to be an option to map the import fields to the table in that order. That was a very tedious process.

Look closely at the field names as you move them over to export. Just to the left of the names you will see an icon with little up and down arrows. You can click on the field name and drag them up and down to change the order of export.

Look closely at the field names as you move them over to export. Just to the left of the names you will see an icon with little up and down arrows. You can click on the field name and drag them up and down to change the order of export.

That isn't my point. I can see that I can rearrange my fields ... my point is that there does not appear to be an import option that says to match the order of the fields in the file ... which is what happens when the export happens. I think that the default order for export should match the default order for import ... and that should be an import option.

That isn't my point. I can see that I can rearrange my fields ... my point is that there does not appear to be an import option that says to match the order of the fields in the file ... which is what happens when the export happens. I think that the default order for export should match the default order for import ... and that should be an import option.

I agree with Bruce, Use the Merge format, and then when importing you can use the Match Field Names. If they are truly exactly the same import and export, they should match.

BTW, once you have an import working, you can automate it by creating a script using the Import script step. So, even if you have to manually match the fields once, that should be the last time.

Lee

cool.gif

I agree with Bruce, Use the Merge format, and then when importing you can use the Match Field Names. If they are truly exactly the same import and export, they should match.

BTW, once you have an import working, you can automate it by creating a script using the Import script step. So, even if you have to manually match the fields once, that should be the last time.

Lee

cool.gif

Lee

cool.gif

This topic is 7005 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.