FM5.5 multi files to fm7 multi tables?

This topic is 6993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm on Mac OSX and currently run a fairly simple estimating/invoicing solution that involves 3 files: invoices, estimates and clients. I upgraded to FM7 hoping to migrate these files into a single solution with three tables but my research on this forum tells me that may not be possible.

Plan B: the invoicing and estimating files are almost identical in look and functionality. Can I migrate the invoicing file then create another table which is a duplicate of that file? So far my research has turned up no way to do this.

Thanks in advance for any insight-

Michael

because of soo many types of relationship set ups and possibilites of lists and so on, it would prove to be difficult. I would just start by creating the tables and making the same identical fields. You can keep everything running, infact, you might just want to make a copy, do all the changes, meanwhile using the old system untill you have finished it all. Then, delete all records from the new one, and import everything from the old files into the appropiate table.

There is a program that does add files into tables, something called FMbot or something. They have a demo you can download and try it. I tried once but I couldn't get it to do anything. Maybe you will have better luck.

Oh sorry, called FMrobot at http://www.newmillennium.com/fmrobot

My solution had over 9 or 10 files and I can't even imagine how many fields and relationships. I got most of them moved over, but I still have a ways to go.

• Newbies

Good advice Himitsu, thank you. I was afraid this would be the answer but I guess it's not all that bad. Although it would take me a week I could recreate two of the three files as tables after migrating the main file.

In terms of layouts I'm assuming I can simply copy and paste my FM5.5 layouts into my new FM7 solution. Oh well, more work ahead...

thanks again,

Michael

Michael said ... In terms of layouts I'm assuming I can simply copy and paste my FM5.5 layouts into my new FM7 solution.

I don't think so, Michael; at least with Windows that didn't work.

I had to convert my fp5 files to 7, THEN copy/paste them. Otherwise, they appeared as graphic objects only. Even portals copied over became graphics and weren't portals anymore. But if you convert the fp5 to 7 format first then you can copy them.

LaRetta wink.gif

They just came out with a Mac version of FMrobot. I haven't used it myself, but I saw it used, and it seemed to work fairly well, though you know it only does fields in a table. It would save a lot of time, especially if you have extensive calculations. You should create the Table Occurrences you need before running it. Otherwise it will not be able to resolve relationships in calculations and will /*comment out the code (which is not too bad, as you can then fix it fairly easily).

You have to convert your old files to 7 first in order to copy/paste the layouts, as the graphics are a little different. You may also want to import a few scripts. Though in most cases the scripts will be quite different in 7; especially those jumping back and forth between files, as they will no longer have to do that.

There are many "utility" scripts in 6 that are no longer needed in 7; many more script steps can be run directly from a button, with Script Parameters, Go To Related Record can specify its resulting layout and window, "Field Behavior" can allow a field to only be entered in Find mode, etc..

On conversion to 7 many steps will be added to your scripts, to do with selecting windows, etc.. FileMaker does this to make sure your scripts will still work. But it does it in a way that I personally would almost never do, hard-coding the window name into selection steps, etc.. You'll need to know the basics of how 7 does relationships, especially the importance of layouts (the table occurrence the layout is assigned to determines, well, almost everything).

You'll want to read the white papers about conversion on FileMaker's site. Here are some critical chapters from the big "Migration Foundations.pdf":

• Newbies

Excellent information, thank you all!

Yes, I've already converted copies of my files to FM7 so I can play with them and become more familiar with 7 before doing the "real" conversion. I'll do all the layout cutting and pasting from the converted files.

Michael

This topic is 6993 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.