memory problem in automated backup

This topic is 6940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I was trying to find a way to make a daily backup of my labdatabase db,

And finally. I did it by running an external file by using ical, everyday.

from this file, i am running a script which

1 Saves a copy of my database (by executing the script in labdatabase by using file reference)

2 and Perform Applescript, and rename the copied file, (I tried performing this script step both from the scriptrunner file(the external file) and from the labdatabase file)

3 close the scriptrunner file...

By this way, I am able to make daily backups which has the current date appended to the name of db

This method used to work for about a month, However, suddenly it started to give an error like:

"Finder got an error(error 2), the operation could not be completed", and when i passed this error by clicking OK a second one comes:

"Sorry, there is not enough memory to complete this operation, "

below is the applescript I have been using

tell application "Finder"

activate

set theDate to current date

set gun to day of theDate

set ay to month of theDate

set yil to year of theDate

set name of document file "Labdatabase.fp7" of folder "Backups" of folder "Filemaker_db" of startup disk to "Labdbbackup_" & gun & "_" & ay & "_" & yil &".fp7"

end tell

I am working on a MacOSX server 10.3.8

I restarted the server to check if it migh be helpful, but the problem persists

Thanks for any kind of help

Best

I would not recommend copying a file that is opened by another program, even if not being used by a client at that time. At best the file you are copying will be corrupted, at worst the file you are serving could be corrupted. I would use FMServer to create a backup copy, copy that file using Applescript to where it needs to go.

Ersen:

Just to reiterate Doug's point: never duplicate or in any way manipulate a currently open FileMaker file. FileMaker Server will save you a copy via Scheduled Backups, and what you should do is copy the backup, as that is sitting idle on the disc.

Chances are that your in-use data files are now corrupt, and you'll have to import the data into a clean set of clones.

-Stanley

hi

thanks for your comments

so, does it mean that, I can not create daily backups while serving a file with FM PRO7

I should have FMSERVER 7,

Than, what the "Save a copy" method stands for? Just to use it, when you are not serving a file?

THat means, the sharing option should be off...

Ersen:

Yeah, the automated backup is available with FM Server only. If you're serving with FMP, you can indeed use "Save a Copy", and this would accomplish the same thing...

-Stanley

Or another option is to quit FMP, backup the files, restart FMP. This could be automated to be performed at midnight. The problems is when ANY problem occurs with the quitting or opening of the files, you might not "catch" them as opening and closing unattended. It is much better to spend the dollars and get FMServer if above cannot be accomplished by one of the users on a daily basis.

This topic is 6940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.