Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Security

This topic is 6797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Thanks, Vaughan !! Bad news...

No workaround?

Perhaps there is way, paradoxical, to keep "Full access" in the "data files" but, also, leaving all users without possibility to enter?

Or is a science-fiction?

Serp--

Actually, wouldn't it make most sense to give your users Full Access to their own data set?

In the designs I have built, I have assumed that the data files are the clients' property--not mine--and therefore they should have every right to do what they want with the data. So I give full access in the data file. Presumably, the real creative work is put in to the interface file, so you need to protect the intellectual content there.

As for protecting the clients from tanking their own data, I recommend writing an opening script that:

1) Goes to an Information layout that informs the user that this is the data file and that they should only edit the data directly at their own risk.

2) Checks to see whether the interface file opened the data file, and if not, trigger the Interface file startup script.

The sequence I use is to have my interface file startup script execute the data file startup script, passing it the parameter of 1. This way, the data file gets opened without creating a loop, and if the user opens the data file directly, the scripts automatically trigger the interface file. That way, casual users almost never see the data file accidentally.

So far, I haven't had problems as a result of this setup.

David

I'm doing something similar to T-Square, only that I don't really give the file full-accees ; I just don't let them run scripts with the defaul privs from the file and during the startup the file is going to an empty layout or something like that (ofcourse i also lock the status bar and the menu bar)

Thanks, Xtrim!!

I think second methods is a solutins here.

Only one problem: in a separation model, I have some users level that they can not write any record (only view)

Edited by Guest

Your welcome...

Well, if you don't want to do it in the data file then i can think of one method:

Creat a different layout and switch layout by inspecting permissions. The layout will show uneditable fields or calculations.

This can cause a liniar increase in number of layouts...So I will try to think of other work-arounds...

Serp,

you wrote < Window >"Show Window" ;)? (Is possible to minimize menus in the data files, but no in the interface file?)>>

If your UI is complete (it provides all the functionality the user needs), then the user never needs to open a data file window.

You can lock up each data file with an 'On Open' script that hides+locks the status area and goes to a simple layout with a warning message and a button whose script closes the window and takes the user back to the UI file window.

Hope that helps -- Mark

• 2 months later...

This topic is 6797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.