Server Maintenance This Week. ×

List of dates for one item???

This topic is 6852 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi. So I have this data base with two different tables. One of them is called item and the other, move date. There is a relationship between the two (item i.d.). I want to be able to track all the places I have moved a certain item. Say I am moving out of my house and I would like to track where all the boxes go, just in case I lose one. So I want to input data into the item table, giving the date it was moved and where it was moved to. When I input this date, I want the move date table to update for that specific item and keep a list of the move dates and the locations on those move dates. When I create a new entry, though, and I type the same item name, it automatically fills the date and location, since they are fields in both the item table and the move date table. I was wondering how I would go about doing this? And then I would also want to get a print out of all the items on the latest move date, would that be possible, and how? Thanks for all the help...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gaassist,

It sounds like a portal would do the trick nicely. Your Main table would be Items. You would view a form view of the Items (where you could also add new Items, etc). Place a portal of your Move Dates table occurrence directly on the Items layout and place your Move Date and Moved To fields inside it.

To allow creation of Move Date records, open your graph and click the link box between Items and Move Dates relationship to open the Relationship Dialog. Select 'Allow Creation of Related' at the bottom on Move Dates. Don't worry about how the Move Date::ItemID will get filled in. Don't even place that in your portal. It will automatically pre-fill with the ItemID (based upon the parent Item record you are viewing when you type into the portal field) thus creating a new record.

It sounds like it would also be beneficial to grab your FM Manual and read the section on Portals at this point to give you a better visual of how it all works together. It's pretty easy and a kick in the pants once you've done one! :D

LaRetta

This topic is 6852 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.