Driving a Mac with Windows

This topic is 6758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi:

I have built a database solution into which data is entered by users on PC's. The database is then opened on a Mac and then the Mac user hits a button that invokes Applescripts embedded in the database, different types of ads are then created in Adobe InDesign. My question is how can I have the PC user send a command to Build the ads on the Mac machine. Putting InDesign on the PC is not an option. The database is shared using Filemaker network.

Thanks in advance

Daibhead

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

You could control the MAc using a VNC Client on the PC. Just enable Apple remote Desktop Sharing (in the Sharing Control Panel) set a password for VNC users and off you go.

Thanks Christian

I am not totally familiar with the PC and have never heard

of VNC Client. What is the setup on the PC side is it third party software?

TIA

Daibhead

Daibhead:

There are a bunch of VNC clients available for both Macs & PCs - simple third-party software like VNCThing, Chicken of the VNC (no kidding), etc. You can look on Versiontracker - most are shareware. The system works in the opposite direction, too.

-Stanley

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Why not set up a crontab on your Mac to periodically fire up FileMaker and check to see if there were any ads to create? If you've never worked with the crontab, believe me; if you can manipulate text using FileMakers script steps (I hate them), you can surely set up a crontab.

This topic is 6758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.