Server Maintenance This Week. ×

miles/km calculation

This topic is 8655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to be able to type in the miles needed to travel somewhere and have another field calulate the km for me. That part is easy, but can I do the same in reverse as well so it won't matter which one I type into first? It would seem to be a circular reference problem, especially since I can't type into a calculation field in the first place...any ideas?

Try creating 4 fields: Miles Entry, KM Entry, Miles Calculation and KM Caluculation.

In your layout, format the two calculation fields without allowing entry into the field.

Place the Miles Entry field over the Miles Calculation and do the same for the KM fields. Make sure all fields are formatted to be transparent.

When you tab to Miles or KM, you will be allowed to enter into the Entry field and the calculated result will appear in the opposite Calculation field.

Good luck.

I tried your suggestion and found two problems. 1 - I can't find a 'transparent' field function that lets me see only one field and type in another without having trouble seeing the resulting calculation on the other pair of fields, and 2 - I need a calculation formula that is an 'if' formula (as in 'if' one field is typed into, then the other result changes too - as well as the reverse), make sense? So far my formula only changes the calc field...Is this possible?

quote:

Originally posted by richshone:

I tried your suggestion and found two problems. 1 - I can't find a 'transparent' field function that lets me see only one field and type in another without having trouble seeing the resulting calculation on the other pair of fields, and 2 - I need a calculation formula that is an 'if' formula (as in 'if' one field is typed into, then the other result changes too - as well as the reverse), make sense? So far my formula only changes the calc field...Is this possible?

Actually here is what you do. You first lay down your KM Enty and Mile Entry fields. Next lay down your KM Display and Miles Display calculated field directly on top of them. DO NOT make them transparent, give them a fill color. Next is to go into the field format and uncheck "Allow entry into field".

Now when you click on the field it will not allow you to enter the calc field, but will let you entry the data entry field beneath it. Once you click off again your calculated field will update with the new values.

Once you do it you will see how simple it is.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.inthescene.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Well I am halfway to solving the problem. I did what you suggested with the entry and display fields and get the result in one of the two fields, the other gets no result until I change the other entry field, which is what I am trying to avoid. Also, as you can imagine, the entry fields underneath the calc fields will be different from the ones on top on them unless I change both as well. Am I making sense? So at this point it seems to be a formulaic problem, not a display one (and by the way, your suggestion for the diplay worked fine - which I am better at understanding anyway). Any ideas? Thanks...

Well I am halfway to solving the problem. I did what you suggested with the entry and display fields and get the result in one of the two fields, the other gets no result until I change the other entry field, which is what I am trying to avoid. Also, as you can imagine, the entry fields underneath the calc fields will be different from the ones on top on them unless I change both as well. Am I making sense? So at this point it seems to be a formulaic problem, not a display one (and by the way, your suggestion for the diplay worked fine - which I am better at understanding anyway). Any ideas? Thanks...

• 1 month later...

Here is a solution that uses 1 less field.

Distance is the field that you enter the number in.

Units is a field that lets you select either "km" or "miles"

Conversion is a calculation field that uses an If statement based on the units field to perform the simple maths.

This topic is 8655 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.