Server Maintenance This Week. ×

relational databases aren't working

ACHARYA

This topic is 8683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am learning FileMaker as of...today. I have attempted to make these two FileMaker programs connected to another program through relationships, so that I can open the information from both programs (both of which have the same names in them, just different other information). However, if I am in the Master program and I go to 'find,' I can't seem to get the information from the other two programs, even though I believe I created the relationship correctly.

Am I delusional about what I am attempting? Is it possible, and what have I done wrong?

Oh, please, please help!

------------------

Thanks,

Sara

quote:

Originally posted by ACHARYA:

Hello,

I am learning FileMaker as of...today. I have attempted to make these two FileMaker programs connected to another program through relationships, so that I can open the information from both programs (both of which have the same names in them, just different other information). However, if I am in the Master program and I go to 'find,' I can't seem to get the information from the other two programs, even though I believe I created the relationship correctly.

Am I delusional about what I am attempting? Is it possible, and what have I done wrong?

Oh, please, please help!

Ugh, you may be in a bit of trouble here.

You are really attempting to do two things that are not really related to each other.

The "Find" is used to search for a particular set of records based on specific criteria that you entered. That is ALL it does.

The "Relationships" you build are used to join database tables (or files) together. That is ALL that they do.

Now all of the hows and why of building relationships are not easy to relate in a quick message. I would suggest a good book on relational design theory. Then a good 3rd party book on Filemaker Pro, since the relational database theory is a little funky due to Filemaker's 1 table per file structure.

Since I do not know exactly what you are trying to accomplish, I cannot advise further on how to solve your problem.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.