Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relating to a repeated field

Bioboy

This topic is 8646 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am writing a new layout inside a technical support database and need to allow technicians to enter the Catalog Number of the product that the client is having trouble with, and have the Name of the product appear in a second field. The Catalog Number and Product Name information is ina separate database. This is easy for one Catalog Number, it's just a simple relationship between Catalog Number and Name. But because one client can require technical support on many products, I chose to use a repeating field for the Catalog Number. I want to be able to enter say 10 Catalog Numbers, then have the related field, Name report the Name of each Catalog number beside the Catalog Number field. How can I do this? Is the answer in the Extend or Aggregate functions?

quote:

Originally posted by Bioboy:

I am writing a new layout inside a technical support database and need to allow technicians to enter the Catalog Number of the product that the client is having trouble with, and have the Name of the product appear in a second field. The Catalog Number and Product Name information is ina separate database. This is easy for one Catalog Number, it's just a simple relationship between Catalog Number and Name. But because one client can require technical support on many products, I chose to use a repeating field for the Catalog Number. I want to be able to enter say 10 Catalog Numbers, then have the related field, Name report the Name of each Catalog number beside the Catalog Number field. How can I do this? Is the answer in the Extend or Aggregate functions?

Do not use a repeating field. The relationships will only work with the first item.

Either use seperate fields, or better yet use a portal into a join file. This file would need the ID of the main record (the call?), the catalog number and then you can have calculated fields to display the information from the catalog file.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• 5 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Repeating fields will work fine for what you are trying to accomplish.

Create a relationship for "Catalog Number" to "Catalog Number" in main database, call it "CatNum". For the "Product Name" field in your new layout, select "Define fields" then select "Product Name" then "Options" check "Looked-up value" click "Specify" choose the relationship "CatNum" then choose "Product Name" field. That should do it. Hope this helps. Forgive the step-by-step instructions.

This topic is 8646 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.