Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Beautifying Tab Control

This topic is 6803 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been playing with Tab Controls and have my best kludge to beautify (IMHO) Tab Controls. Basically, the Tab Control's fill and stroke is turned off and the text set to 1px and background color. Container fields as buttons with scripts & script variables are used to track which tab is active & to change tabs. There are some other issues, see the demo.

Please comment and/or modify the sample, I'm sure there's room for improvement.

SamsTabControlDemo.fp7.zip

Edited by Guest

I've here learned http://www.filemakermagazine.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=588&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0 that sending pixeinfo is burdening networked solutions compared to "articulations" with the stuff found in the layout tools. Might there be a point in the visibility trick instead or perhaps a series webdings as mergefield in a very small size ...could make it behave on a network???

--sd

Edited by Guest

... sending pixeinfo is burdening networked solutions compared to "articulations" with the stuff found in the layout tools.

I agree: pixel based graphics (which contain every pixel in the graphic) are much larger than vector based graphics (which contain instructions on how to draw an object, not the object itself). I prefer to use custom icons, tabs, and sometimes pictures to make the database user-friendly. I keep them in global containers so they only have to be downloaded from the server once.

I don't agree that layout graphics necessarily burden the network. It depends on the scale of the solution, server speed, network speed, LAN-WAN speed (if applicable), and the # of FileMaker clients. My solutions are not major corporate databases where speed kills.

Might there be a point in the visibility trick instead or perhaps a series webdings as mergefield in a very small size ...could make it behave on a network???

I used global containers, certainly normal FileMaker rectangles with text overlaid will work, though IMHO not as pretty.

This topic is 6803 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.