Server Maintenance This Week. ×

I want to relate multiple fields

rsvoigt

This topic is 8643 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Question:

I am trying to figure out how to relate multiple fields in my master file to a separate database, and have all the master fields i want update by just entering a value in one field of the master file?

I am setting up like this. I have a graphics pre flight database created. I also have a separate job engineering database created. Each time we preflight a job, a new record in the pre flight database will be created.

I want to be able to go to the job engineering (job planning) database, enter a single number that will pull the info i need from a specific record in the pre flight database into my job engineering database.

The pre flight database will have ongoing records, 1 2 3 etc. What i want to do is go to the job engineering database, enter, say preflight number 3, and have fields update with the info that is in pre flight 3.

Thanks for responding!!

Rob

This is a fundamental use of a relationship. 1) Create a "PreFlight#" field in the Job Engineering database.

2) Define a relationship in Job Engineering that matches PreFlight# with preflight number in the preflight database.

3) Eight display the related fields from the preflight database in Jobe Engineering or define lookups based upon the relationship you created.

4) If this is still too confusing, time to RTFM (read the fine manual) and learn more about the use of relationships!

-bd

This is very easy:

I assume that in your preflight database, each record has a unique number. Create a field in the JE database that you will key this number into. Create a relationship between the two databases using this number field.

Then all you have to do is placed fields via your relationship on the JE database from the Preflight database. Now each time you change the number in the JE database preflight field, the values will change, assuming there is a matching record in the preflight database.

A better solution would be to use a portal though. You could have a code or ID for each JE record you create. Then write a script to copy that ID to an ID field in the preflight database on each record created there that relates to that JE record. This way, you can create a relationship using this ID, then make a portal that will show all preflight records that relate.

This topic is 8643 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.