Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Trouble creating multiple relationships.

cstotts

This topic is 8641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everyone.

I'm having trouble creating what I think is a many to many relationship. I'm new to this, so don't chew me out too bad! What I have is 2 seperate files. File 1 has basic information on applicants to this program, and file 2 has follow up dates and relevant information for this program.

What I need this DB to do is to have the ability to have many different applicants, and each of those applicants have multiple follow-up dates. If I'm not mistaken, this is a many to many relationship, and I don't have a clue as to how to do it.

What I've been trying to do is relate the Applicant # field in file 1 to the Applicant # field in file 2, and the follow-up date field in file 1 to the follow-up date field in file 2. I need to have the ability to go back and look at the old follow up dates, and what I get now, is that when I enter a new follow up date, it just overwrites the date and stores it in file 2. I repeat that I have multiple applicants that have multiple follow-up dates.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Chris Stotts

ps. feel free to e-mail me about this at:

[email protected]

quote:

Originally posted by cstotts:

Hello everyone.

I'm having trouble creating what I think is a many to many relationship. I'm new to this, so don't chew me out too bad! What I have is 2 seperate files. File 1 has basic information on applicants to this program, and file 2 has follow up dates and relevant information for this program.

What I need this DB to do is to have the ability to have many different applicants, and each of those applicants have multiple follow-up dates. If I'm not mistaken, this is a many to many relationship, and I don't have a clue as to how to do it.

What I've been trying to do is relate the Applicant # field in file 1 to the Applicant # field in file 2, and the follow-up date field in file 1 to the follow-up date field in file 2. I need to have the ability to go back and look at the old follow up dates, and what I get now, is that when I enter a new follow up date, it just overwrites the date and stores it in file 2. I repeat that I have multiple applicants that have multiple follow-up dates.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Chris Stotts

ps. feel free to e-mail me about this at:

Ok, start by buying a book on relational databases. Read it! A good book on Filemaker Pro will help as well.

You do not have a "many-many" relationship, since many applications will share not many followups and many followups will not apply to many applicants.

You have a "one-many" relationship, as ONE applicant will have many followups, but each followup will only have ONE applicant.

At a minimum you will need a portal into your followup file in order to enter the various followups.

Reading over the manual and a good book or two will answer your questions and walk you through how to do this kind of thing.

There are many more questions that you will have that the tutorials and explanations in the books will also help to answer.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.