automatically doing something when new record created

Kay

This topic is 8418 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My structure:

Starting point database of Projects; each project requires many deliverable Elements; each Element has many to-do Tasks to come to fruition.

My challenge:

I have reports designed at the Task level so that they can include details all the way down the hierarchy, like so:

Project 1

---Element 1.1

------Task 1.1.1

------Task 1.1.2

---Element 1.2

------Task 1.2.1

------Task 1.2.2

------Task 1.2.3 etc.

At a certain point in our project planning process, some Elements do not yet have Tasks assigned but I need these Elements to be listed on some reports anyway (with no tasks listed under them). The report will not print Elements with no Task records, of course. We've been cheating by creating a blank Task record everytime we enter a new Element.

Your challenge:

How to automatically do something when a record is created? In this case I would want a blank related Task record created automatically everytime I create a new Element record. I want to be able to do other stuff upon record creation, but this is one I need to do this week.

This is probably really easy. Acknowledgement of inferiority to whoever can 'xplain it, please laugh.gif" border="0 I will use the solution billions of times and send you royalties. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Set the user password menu setting to "none", hide and lock the status bar on all layouts, and use a button to create a new record. The button will trigger a script to create a new record AND perform whatever processing you desire. The first steps are to prevent the users from creating a new record without using the button/script.

-bd

This topic is 8418 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.