Recording a change to a field selection

This topic is 8408 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a Software Problem Report (SPR) database (over 3000 records). There are six fields that, when modified, are put in (by hand) to MS Schedule. My problem is, I have to remember to check a "Schedule Affected" field every time I modify one of these fields. The problem is, each of the six fields are pop-up lists. For example, when the person responsible for the SPR changes, an "Assigned To" field is changed. I would normally put an "x" in the "Schedule Affected" box, but I forget sometimes. Is there any way to make these fields "trigger" a response, whether it is just a message/reminder when trying to leave the record or even a focus to the required field? I am a novice FM user, so any example databases/formats/scripts would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

If you want to set an empty field to "X" or some other value when another field is changed, set up your Schedule Affected field to auto-enter a calculated value like this:

Scheduled Affected = "X" & Left(Field1 & Field2 & Field3 & Field4 & Field5 & Field6,0)

...where Field1...Field6 are the trigger fields.

Take care that this is a text field with an auto-enter calculated value, not a calculation field.

This field will initially be set to "x" in all records after you set it up. So, you will have to use a replace command to clear it. After that, when any of Field1...Field6 are modified, Schedule Affected will be set to "x", and will stay that way until you clear it. Then, it will set to "x" again the next time one of the fields are modified. The only requirement is that the Schedule Affected field must actually be completely cleared when you reset it for this to work (ie, don't put some other value or even blank space into it).

Another method would be to make each of your popups a button that performs a script. At the end of the script, you tell Filemaker to go to that popup so you can make a selection. The downside to this is that the script runs whether you have made an actual change or not.

This topic is 8408 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.