2 Relational Value List issues

This topic is 8401 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This could just as easy gone in the Value List Forum:

I'm having two issues with the a conditional value lists.

First off. In the module that has all the different items to show on the Value lists, we have some items that have duplicate Form Names, but they can be told apart by another field. What they want is all of the duplicates to show up as well. I know that relationships just pull the first matching record, so is there a workaround? I tried adding the second field to the pulldown list, but it didn't work (i didn't think it would).

Secondly, the same value list. There are some items that need to be in the value list no matter what. One way to do it would be to create these records for each different relational field. But we'd rather not do that. Is there another way?

Thanks In Advance

Jeremy

Issue 1:

Create a third field which is the concatenation of the two that you want to view and base your value list on this field.

Concate_Field = Field_1 & " " & Field_2

Issue 2:

The only way that some of the items are going to show up all the time is if they are related to all of the records you're working with. The easiest way to do this is going to be to have a separate record for each possible relationship. It might also be possible to have the key field for these records have a return separated list of all the possibilities. For instance, if you've got dessert database and based on what kind of dessert you select (cake, pie, ice cream), you have certain options, but some are always available (fork, spoon, plate). For something like "vanilla" the dessert type would be "ice cream" but for something like "fork" the desert type could possibly be set to "cake

Thanks buddy, the first thing worked great. (quite obvious too)

Chose not to deal with the second issue yet, but will keep your suggestion in mind. I had thought of the same thing before i posted, but i hadn't tested it yet either. Right now it would only be about 3 or 4 items that duplicate 3 or 4 times, but eventually the list will grow to 3 or 4 items that duplicate hundreds of times (that would be customers, 100s of times would be good). So i'll probably just write a script that when performed, duplicates all the information for each customer. May run into problems with that but i'll deal with that when the time comes.

Thanks again. (hey look, you've got a nice new shiney 5 star rating, i wonder who that came from tongue.gif" border="0 )

Jeremy

This topic is 8401 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.