importing data

This topic is 8327 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a DB that has individual records for each user and application on his or her workstation. For example, record 1 is user 1; application A; record 2 is user 1; application b; record3 is user 1 application c. I want to create a new DB that will gather all the info and let me see, in one record, all the software on user 1's machine, reading something like user 1; application a; application b; application c. Any ideas out there?

Thanks, but I just cant seem to get these portals to do anything for me. II am really just guessing on how they really work. Could you give me more detilaed info? I am looking to combine many records into one, listing a user and all the software on his machine. I now have 2o records all listing the same user, each record showing a different program.

quote:

Originally posted by sboard0599:

Thanks, but I just cant seem to get these portals to do anything for me. II am really just guessing on how they really work. Could you give me more detilaed info? I am looking to combine many records into one, listing a user and all the software on his machine. I now have 2o records all listing the same user, each record showing a different program.

Your best bet is to get a book on Filemaker, particularly one dealing with relational design aspects, as this is a very big area to cover in a few words.

quote:

Originally posted by sboard0599:

I have a DB that has individual records for each user and application on his or her workstation. For example, record 1 is user 1; application A; record 2 is user 1; application b; record3 is user 1 application c. I want to create a new DB that will gather all the info and let me see, in one record, all the software on user 1's machine, reading something like user 1; application a; application b; application c. Any ideas out there?

How about a portal based on a self-relationship in this file such as gUserID::UserID where you just type in the UserID into the global field and the self-relationship displays all apps for that user.

Or you could create a report that shows the information.

This topic is 8327 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.