making a total out of a related field PLEASE HELP

This topic is 8307 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by Remy Paternoster:

I have a field in a database that comes from a relationship. I want to make a total out of all the foun records but when I choose the total field as sumary, related field doesnt apear.

PLease help me, or tell me if you need a bigger explanation about it

thANKS

Hmmm...,

it sounds very strange; you should provide some extensive info.

Please answer to these questions:

• the related recs. are displayed in a portal ?

• if not, are they reached via a 'GOTO RELATED ...' script statement ?

• are them simply found via a search script in the related db ?

• what kind of summary field do you use (calculated field with 'SUM' formula) or a real 'SUMMARY OF'

• the total field where is it displayed (master db or related db) ?

Waiting for your details, regards.

You didn't specify if you mean a total of found records from the master file or related file. I the master file, a Summary field will total a field (not a related field) in the current found set. To total related fields, the Sum() function is used to create calculated (not Summary) field in the maser file. The Sum() function will total all the related fields for the relationship and for the current record. Some relationships are based upon globals and don't depend upon what the current record is in the master file. In other relationships, the set of related records depends upon the current record in the master file. The value returned by a calculated field using the Sum() function DOES NOT depend upon the found set in the related file, just the current related records for the master file record you are on.

If you wish to total ALL of the related records for a found set in the master file, you must either 1) find those records and use a Summary field in the related file or 2) build a relationship the points to all the related records and use a calculated field in the master file defined with the Sum() function.

-bd

ehhh, I think I didnt explain my self enogh because the problem is not so dificult. maybe it isnt a filemaker feature, so its going to be solve using a loop script or something.

ok. i have 2 db's. the first one with a bunch of ids and each id have a number related to it in a field called..... "acount". the second db have the same fields (id and acount) but id marks the relationship bewten the two dbs, so when I insert an id it automaticlly ask the first db for the "acount" value.

What I want its to make a sumatory of all the "acount" values IN THE SECOND DATABASE, but when I create a summary field, related fields like "acount" DOES NOT APPEAR.

Because these, the only way I can add all the values is too loop the database and "insert a calculated value". I dont like these cuz its slow and it shouldnt be these way.

Help me if you can. Thanks at least for reading these and sorry about the spelling but I speak spanish normally.

This topic is 8307 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.