what the heck???

yafreax

This topic is 8297 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've not been this frustrated at a project in a long time. . . the jist is this:

File A ---> File B (line items)B) Allow creation, based on Item Ref#

File B ---> File A: Based on Item Ref# to allow for lookups; calcs. etc.

File A has a field 'Item Name" that needs to either auto-calculate to = File A::Item Name or auto-Lookup the same field, i don't care which, either works for me. . . IT"S NOT WORKING! It doesn't do either the lookup or auto-calc.

I have another pair of files that does the exact same thing and it works. I've compared each of the referenced fields, all are set up the exact same. . . any troubleshooting suggestions? Possiblities i might've overlooked? I could've swore i tested this on the main files in question, but now it has stopped working. . .could there be something corrupt? Am i just a moron that has missed something? AM I JUST A MORON? (don't answer that smile.gif" border="0 ).

thanks much. . .

Jeremy

okay, now that ive changed absolutely NOTHING part of it started working again. . . NOW here's the problem

When i create the first line item, it doesn't work, however, every subsequent line item i create with in that record / portal, IT WORKS. So why doesn't the first one? how can i work this out/?

please help.

Jeremy

Lookups only work when the key value is changed. So if the related value is modified, it won't appear on the master record unless the record is re-looked-up. There is a script step for this.

Can I suggest you check your data structure especially your relationships.

Ok! I think I understand your question…… LOL – hey, the Germans tend to describe things a bit differently. But if I’m right it’s a tougher problem than Vaughan described – If not, I’m getting the wrong end of the stick. Anyway, maybe this small tip can help you. If not, you can file it away for later.

I had a similar problem with lookups some time ago. I was working on a system to go beyond FM’s access privileges, whereby a log of changes to a networked solution was continually made, listing who did what at what time on which day. I didn’t want to use the CurrentUser status, as some people were roaming around the office using other PC’s, doing silly things and the PC’s owner were getting blamed. Anyway to cut a long story short, I was using a whole series of relationships to different files, lookups, links, self-links etc. etc. and exactly the same problem as your having suddenly appeared. I worked day and night on it and got very frustrated.

Now without going into details (I would need to write a book) at some point I got very angry with the lookups that weren’t working – i.e. I wasn’t always getting a new user name entered in the logs, and so just to get FM to do something with the field, I told it to enter the next lowest value if no match was found. I don’t know why I did this, as I thought it would start entering the wrong user – but guess what…. It worked, and has worked since. I’m sure some of you Gurus out there can explain this, but I’m just happy that it worked, and so is the company that asked me to do this.

I don’t have any idea if this is going to even be of interest to you, let alone help. But I hope so.

A further point is Vaughan’s idea or causing lookups to re-calculate with a script. This is an important feature, no doubt, but I always look for a solution without a script first, i.e. using a calculating field for the lookups, which will re-trigger a lookup if a value changes. If your structure allows this, it’s much better as the user has a smoother working environment.

Hope you like this novel B)-) LOL

Rigsby

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

Lookups only work when the key value is changed. So if the related value is modified, it won't appear on the master record unless the record is re-looked-up. There is a script step for this.

Can I suggest you check your data structure especially your relationships.

Okay, first, the problem is (was, as i've solved it, sorta) happening when a brand new record is created with a brand new related record is created as well. So the value of the lookup is "changing", or rather, being created, so i don't see that as the issue.

What i discovered is the portal needs some type of activation or something. When i create a new record in file A and use only the tab button to fill in the remaining information, the look ups will not perform. However, if i fill in the desired fields (including the Key Field of course) in File A, then click on the layout anywhere other than a field, or hide window, change window, etc. And then return and create the first related record in the portal row, everything will work fine. . .

I'm not sure what causes that, it's kinda odd really. Test it with a simple back and forth relationship like the one above, and let us know what you think. I was able to work around it and can explain it if anyone wants to know, but there might be a simplier solution.

As for a "re-lookup" script step, well, that would mean that the user would have to have one more step (somewhere, somehow activating the script) and i don't think that should be necessary, my workaround doesn't need that step and doesn't even leave File A.

Thanks for your input to both, if you guys test it and see the same thing, let me know what you think.

jeremy

p.s. - it's not the structure. . . wink.gif" border="0 . . . i created test files at there simpliest even to test it and got the same results.

Ahhhhhhhh! Now you’re problem is clear…. I think LOL. This is just a Filemaker thing. Sadly there isn’t really a trick to get around it, just different workarounds, as you’ve discovered. I know this problem, but it’s never bothered me as I know the lookups will perform as soon as I’ve finished doing what I’m doing and leave the last field. However, many of the people using my solutions are not so fit with computers and it can disturb them not seeing things happening at once. There are many options here as I said, and you have to find the one that best suits your needs. This can involve hiding the portals until the user leaves the last field . . hey, what they can’t see can’t irritate them.

But seriously, I would consider using a create record script for users to create new records, this script can then create the record leave all fields and then go back to the first field and wait for input. This will cause the window and data to refresh. I also tend to use message fields placed under data fields to offer users information. For example, if you have a field:

<First name> you could create a Calculating field <First Name message>

Case (First name = “”, “Please enter your first name here”,”” wink.gif" border="0

And place this field under the input field.

I know….. This has nothing to do with your problem, really, but I like the effect and just thought I’d get it in here LOL.

Rigsby

This topic is 8297 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.