Filterout orphan records

mf

This topic is 8282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have 2 files: one products, one prices. The prices file is populated using a download from our main company datatbase (for simplicity, all the prices are donwloaded). The Products file does not contain all the company products. So the prices records are not necessarily matched with an existing/active product. When looking at the prices, I would like to list only the records that have a match in the products file...

I hope this is soooo trivial, that you will have a laugh but willingly reply... thanks

From the related file, make a relationship back to master records. Then create a calc field that counts the number of related records...

Count (relationship::keyfield)

Orphaned records will have a count of zero.

Simply mark the prices that match a certain criteria. You can either mark those that have a valid product or mark those that do not, your choice.

You will need to mark them in a stored field using a lookup on import. Check via a relationship to see if there is a valid related product and make your mark based on the result.

I am being deliberately vague, since there are about a zillion ways to actually implement this.

If this does not give you the direction you need, I can give you a specific implementation example.

What I am unclear about is what function would help me in determining if a related product record exist for this price...

I would even consider deleting the orphan records, only if I knew how to automatically select them.

Hoooold it! I found it, back in January someone had a similar problem: the function is "isvalid". Problem solved.

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: mf ]

This topic is 8282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.