simple db & match fields?

axis

This topic is 8249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

computers come in and i enter their info into a file.

right now the only thing unique in the files are auto assigned/auto incremented (by 1) record numbers.

i have another file with records of people (individuals).

again the records are auto number.

it's easy enough to match the record number fields of the two files to get a view of who has which computer or vice versa (which is also important -using a search).

my problem is this: some people have more than one computer.

how do solve this?

i want the db to operate as it does now, i.e., i can find computers or i can find people (don't ask me -all i know is it works now and i want to add the capability of more than one computer as a possibility per person.

TIA

should i retain my "people" file?

if so, are you suggesting that i use the the value of the name (person's name) field -have a person's name field in each (people & computers) file- as the match fields (and not record IDs)?

TIA

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: axis ]

I am forced to make quite a few assumptions here, but you basically just need to expand your mind, rather than your databases. You are already relating a ComputerID to a PersonID, although you do not call them as such.

Your People.fp5 file is being related to your Computer.fp5 file via PeopleID or visa versa (i.e. Computer.fp5 being related to People.fp5 via ComputerID).

You just need to decide what is your primary record, a Person or a Computer, and treat that as the master file, and thus the master ID. Then relate the other file via that ID.

• 5 weeks later...

Another way is to use a third database that has a relationship between both people and computers which you would call the "Log.fp5" which uses value lists from people and computers db's and you create a new record per new link of a machne to a person. Then when you do a search under a person's name you can list all that they have in View as list mode.

In the computer database you should have a field called Status which let's you know if a computer is assigned to someone ie: Value list - Free, Assigned, For Repair, etc.

You base your relationship between computers.fp5 and log.fp5 on this status field. The computer field for the person you wish to assign one two will be a pull down menu from a value list of related info (namely status "Free") which will show you which computers are free to assign. When a computer is assigned, then you will click a PORTAL check box/radio box which updates the computer.fp5 that this computer is now assigned.

This will stop you assigning a computer that is already out and also give you the ability to know where your computers are even if they're being repaired.

I think this is alright!!

This topic is 8249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.