Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scripts from trashed file

This topic is 6709 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I had written 9 scripts in a file which trashed. I'm using a good (prior) clone but I would like to save those scripts if possible. I'm considering importing them into my good copy. There are no 'table missing' or 'field missing' nor commented out sections. I don't want to risk bringing trash into my good file but it would sure save me a lot of time.

Do you think it would be safe? I don't want to bring them in if there may be *hidden* damage. :wink2:

I won't risk bringing over my buttons. Although those particular layouts seem okay, several layouts trashed and are totally unavailable (not even recognized by FM). But it's good to know I can save those scripts. I will respecify any sorts or finds. Thanks, Steve. :wink2:

As usual, import with care.

To test FM8, I "corrupted" a script on purpose, with a hex editor. I then imported the script into another file. The script step in my case was actually "repaired" by importing, however, other nonsense hex characters I added were imported as well (hidden).

" As usual, import with care."

Hi Gregory,

It doesn't sound like it would make a difference whether I 'import with care' or not ... if the damage is hidden, I wouldn't know anyway. I read your article with great interest; thanks for providing it.

I've noticed that "Custom Functions" are particularly vulnerable and produce "Function Missing" in my calculations. Of the 10 trashes I've experienced, CFs took a nose-dive every time. If, as you indicate, FM can lose track of the scripts (as it can do with layouts and even records), I just wouldn't want to risk it.

I don't know why I always attempt to bargain with the price ... it's just that I had 50+ hours in that design (and was backing up corruption and didn't know it). I was hoping to save SOMETHING. Ah well. :wink2:

LaRetta

This topic is 6709 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.